Custom cabs.. how to daisychain wire a jack plate?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Nov 23, 2002.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey all..

Having trouble making this work. I have a 4 ohm 4x10 and a 4ohm 2x15 I've just finishing building (been having fun building bass cabs recently :)) and I can't wire a working daisy chained input jack.

The cabinets will be running on a bridged amp (QSC RMX), so series wiring is needed instead parallel.

As simple as it is.. it's not working for me. I'm getting sound out of only 1 cab (215), the one plugged into the amp. I also can't use either of the 2 1/4" jacks as input (irregardless of phase), which I was expecting to be able to. Am I correct in thinking this should be possible?

(both cabs work individually, it's a problem with the daisy chain wiring)
  2. There's no way to wire cabs internally for series operation with another cab. You have to construct a special wiring harness which will connect the cabs to the head in series. The + speaker wire from the head has to go to the + speaker wire of cab #1, then the - wire from cab #1 must go to the + speaker wire of cab #2, next, the - speaker wire from cab #2 must return to the - speaker out of the amp completing the circuit.
  3. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The only in cab option is parallel then? 2 4ohm cabs in parallel bridged.. not good..
  4. Actually, it's simpler to do than it sounds. Just take a speaker cable and run it from the amp to cab #1. Cut the - side of the cable and solder a second speaker cable in series with it for cab#2.