Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom cabs.. how to daisychain wire a jack plate?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Nov 23, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey all..

Having trouble making this work. I have a 4 ohm 4x10 and a 4ohm 2x15 I've just finishing building (been having fun building bass cabs recently :)) and I can't wire a working daisy chained input jack.

The cabinets will be running on a bridged amp (QSC RMX), so series wiring is needed instead parallel.

[​IMG]

As simple as it is.. it's not working for me. I'm getting sound out of only 1 cab (215), the one plugged into the amp. I also can't use either of the 2 1/4" jacks as input (irregardless of phase), which I was expecting to be able to. Am I correct in thinking this should be possible?

Stumped..

(both cabs work individually, it's a problem with the daisy chain wiring)

2. There's no way to wire cabs internally for series operation with another cab. You have to construct a special wiring harness which will connect the cabs to the head in series. The + speaker wire from the head has to go to the + speaker wire of cab #1, then the - wire from cab #1 must go to the + speaker wire of cab #2, next, the - speaker wire from cab #2 must return to the - speaker out of the amp completing the circuit.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The only in cab option is parallel then? 2 4ohm cabs in parallel bridged.. not good..

4. Actually, it's simpler to do than it sounds. Just take a speaker cable and run it from the amp to cab #1. Cut the - side of the cable and solder a second speaker cable in series with it for cab#2.