1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Case Making

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordanm, May 15, 2006.

1. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Does anyone have any good sites or info on making a custom case? I would like a hard shell case for my Ritter but dont want to pay the $500 or whatever they are. And I've always wanted to try this so its a good opporotunity. Just looking for a start to some research, I'm not making this tomorrow.

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hmm, I don't know too much about this, but I'll put what I think you should do to make it.

Get 2 pieces of 1" thick plywood (maybe less). It should probably be about 16 or so inches wide, and a few inches longer than your bass is (so let's say 50"). Then get 2 more pieces of wood (probably a 1X4" then 50 inches long. Then 2 more of the same saze, but 16 " long instead. Drill holes so that the 4 1X4s are in a rectangular shape.

Then, put in brass inserts for the screws so that they won't come out. The put them together. Then, drill about 8 holes along the top of the long 1X4s, and about 2-4 for the 16" long ones. Put inserts in there as well. Make sure you only do one side though, do not do top and bottom. Screw one of the big pieces of plywood to the fram that you made.

After this, buy some refridgerator fome. get 2 pieces that are 1/2"X16"X50" and then one big pirece that is 2"X16"X50"

Glue one of the smaller pieces to the inside of the boxish thing you made out of the plywood, so when you look into it, the foam is on the large pieces of plywood. Next trace your bass on the big piece of foam and cut that out of the foam. You should now have the shape of your bass kind of hole in the foam. Before putting the foam in the box, glue in some material such as velvet onto the smaller piece of foam (a piece that's just a little larger than the hole you cut out into the big piece was) in the box. Then, glue in the big piece of foam with the hole in it. After gluing the foam in, cover that with velvet and glue it in. Make sure you push in the velvet underneath the foam piece (like, inbetween the 2 layers of foam) so it doesn't get in the way of your bass and does not come undone. Now, glue the piece of foam you have left to the last big piece of plywood you have. then cover that with, and glue in, the velvet. Put this velvet side in to the box you had and make sure everything fits, and make sure your bass is nice and snug in there. Next, buy 2-3 hinges, and 4 latches (Allparts.com has these parts). Also, buy some material to cover the outside of the case. Glue and staple that material to the outside of the case (staple the part that lips into the case so the edges are smooth and don't come undone.

Drills the holes necessary for the latches and hinges, and put those one, and do this with a handle as well because that will be needed.

That's pretty much it, and how I would (and probably will) do it. If you have any questions, I'll check back to see if I can help anymore on this.

Greg

3. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Thanks for the advice thus far, very informative. I should add i'm most likely just buying a shell (aka an old beat up case) and then custom molding the inside so my bass will actually fit properly. I'm debating making a shell out of 1/2" PVCX sheet, or something similar.. though 1/2" PVCX sheet would probably be about $100 by itself. However a light case, thats strong and my bass fits properly in might just be worth it... I kinda figure the inside would probably be the hardest part though.