Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Cirrus - Yessssh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 20, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, I go in tomorrow to put down money to get a custom - yes, custom - Cirrus bass headed my way! Had my local dealer where I bought my first Cirrus work with Peavey and here's what we've come up with:

Walnut neck and body, ebony board, quilt maple top with rubbed oil finish, tiger eye preamp and abalone block inlays.

Lemme guess - will anyone want to see pictures of the girl when she comes in a couple months from now? :D

:hyper:

2. Yup. Put me down for pix.

It's been less than a week since I played a Cirrus, so I am still in a Cirrus love fog. :D

Yummy basses!

Mike ;)

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Me me me me me me me,I want pics! -Luke

4. JEberle

JEberle

May 17, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Good deal man, you're gonna love it. I picked mine up on wednesday and it is one of the nicest basses I've ever played. You won't be able to put it down.

Jim

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds great! But since when does Peavey take custom orders for something not in the catalog??

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats Mark !!
    I knew you were looking for a 5 string version (mainly Walnut) but never imagined something like that (Ebony, Tiger eye, abalone inlays).

Waiting for pics and clips (also a comparison with your Maple 4)

BTW, I´m still listening to that Wankfunk tune. Really catchy.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    they don't normally. I have a good rapport with the 'in' guy at my local dealer, who knows the right folks at Peavey. It probably doesn't hurt that I bought my first Cirrus at this store, too.

:)

8. Custom-built Cirri, eh? How about a fretless 6:

Koa body
    Flamed koa top
    Maple/koa neck with unlined ebony board
    Tiger eye preamp
    Matching koa or ebony knobs
    :cool:

Hmm... I still haven't posted pics of my Tiger Eye 6... :oops:

9. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    congrats.. i just finished a gig with my friends cirrus.. dude. i must say it's a great bass.. amazing slap bass..
    can't wait to see it. and how much are they quoting you at?

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Should be sweet. I like the ebony fretboard. What about...matching headstock? wood knobs? Sounds like you're getting inlays across the fretboard...What about the signature 12th fret inlay?

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Schwinn, I was told that they'd need to skip the headstock overlay, though I didn't get a satisfactory explanation as to why. I did not specify the knob type, but I'd honestly just as soon have the regular ones. A plain block will replace the 12th fret signature 'C'...

Dimple, I'd rather not share the price with the whole world, out of deference to Peavey and my dealer who are really going the extra mile for me on this. Let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised - and that it was less than half the price of the pimped-out Fodera I had spec'ed as another option. I do know that the dealer will be the one to set the final price in any custom order situation, so what my dealer quoted me won't have much bearing on what your local dealer might quote you... :)

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Dooooood!!!

I guess no Sadowsky or Fodera :D ;)

Yovela still doesn't know how much the FBB is going to cost! SSSSHHHHH!!!

I can't wait to see the pic of that thing!!

BTW, are you still giggin' on Sat?

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    nah, I ruled out the Sadowsky because I wanted 35" scale, and the Fodera was going to take a lot of months and a lot of dollars - plus without the opportunity to play an instrument similar to the one I was spec-ing (35" scale Emperor 4), the familiarity with the feel I could expect from another Cirrus really sealed the deal.

Dood, yeah, I'm playing in Nacogdoches - which is further North from me than H-town is west - so it looks like another TB hang thwarted by a gig... :bawl:

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! Sounds nice. Block inlays? I am jealous!!!:D

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

he's such a show-off!!

:D ;)

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and did I mention that they're not just *any* old block inlays, but they're made of special Idaho mountain-grown abalone, too!

:spit: :D ;)

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    [Eric Cartman Voice] Hey!! Dam it!! [/Eric Cartman Voice]

:D

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    You have NO idea how jealous I am of you. No idea.

19. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'll be waiting impatiently to see pics.

/three cirrii owner

Troll

20. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I can see how they might go the extra mile for a good customer, (custom) but how did you get them to throw in a girl with the deal??? (lol)