1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Classic Jazz Pickup Location?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do Fender Custom Classic basses have Seventies pickup locations? I know they have the Seventies style look.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Too bad, they are still nice basses!:bassist:

4. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I just got a custom classic yesterday, and mine measures out to 70's spacing.

5. basskillah

basskillah Justus League

Sep 14, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Roscoe Guitars
    It's 60's.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine is 60's

7. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Very interesting.
    I just bought this bass yesterday and the pickup placement is the same as my 75 reissue

Attached Files:

8. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    hmmm, actually took a tape measure to them, and my new bass seems to be right between my 75 reissue and my 66.

Could it be that there is a certain place to measure to and from?

I am measuring from the e string saddle (to "eliminate" the differences in bridge dimensions) to the center of the pickup pole piece.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bass in the picture is not a CS custom classic! Custom classics don't come with matching headstock or dots in the neck. That bass you have there may be the 70'sRI jazz bass that came out around 2002-03........

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If I'm correct the 60's position the pups are 3 1/2 inches apart while the 70's position the pups are 4 inches apart.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Those measurements are pup pole to pup poles.

12. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Pyrohr,

I'll have to argue with you on that one. Attached is (an admittedly poor) shot I just took of my new bass' COA.
    The S/N all match, and also I purchased the bass yesterday from a very reputable dealer here in the SF Bay Area.

Attached Files:

13. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    On my CC, the pickup pole piece to pole piece measures 3 3/4".

So on mine it seems to be right between a 60's and a 70's spacing, if pyrohr's information is correct on the 60's and 70's measurements of course.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have never seen a custom classic jazz like that! first of all they are DLX basses meaning the bass is active! That would also make the neck different from the one on the bass shown. Newer CC jazzes have blocks with no binding while mine (a 97) has blocks and binding. They also come with lite tuners and custom noiseless pups! DSC05231.jpg here is a picture of mine..........

15. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    pyrohr,

Not to be argumentative (so if I seem so, I am sorry) but mine does indeed have the light tuners and the custom noiseless active pickups.

The crappy picture I took probably makes it difficult to see them.

Mine was build in '08 by the way so it IS in fact a "newer" one.

Also there is a cs classic Jazz on ebay right now that has matching headstock AND blocked finger board.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Does this bass have a Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock as well as a CS stamp on the neck plate?

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Your not argumentative at all, in fact indeed you have taught me something!!! I didn't know Fender made that bass like the one you have! I love it! I hope you will enjoy it as I enjoy mine that just happens to be strapped around my neck as I type this!

18. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    LOL. yessir.
    If you insist, I'll take higher quality pictures.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My man welcome to Fender's Custom Classic jazz world! :)

20. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh I do! In fact I had gone into the shop to look for a cheap bass to keep in my office so I can play at work without worrying about my gig basses. And when I picked this bass up, I couldn't stop playing it. I had to go put more money in the parking meter and I didn't leave the store for 4 hours!

I was thinking about buying the bass that is on ebay and refinishing it (I don't have the juice to rock a gold sparkle axe. It makes a statement I am not prepared to make!)
    So I went back in on Saturday, and the same thing happened, so I knew I had to bring the bass home with me! (mine is around my neck too!)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020