Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom computer building

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Feb 4, 2006.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heya folks. who's making their own pcs? i just got into this the past few months and i'm loving it - gonna make a web site for my build.

here's what i have so far...

asus a8n32-sli deluxe mobo
    athlon fx60 cpu
    corsair twinx2048-4000pt ram
    western digital raptor 74 gig 10k sata hard drive
    ultra connect x2 psu (for mobo)
    ultra connect psu (for cooling)

swifttech cpu waterblock w/integrated 226 watt peltier
    eheim 1262 waterpump (in transit)
    ice probe chiller (for primary resevoir)
    koolance ram water coolers (x2)(in transit)
    koolance 2x hd drive cooler (in transit)

i have to get another pump and some radiator/fan combos, and make my resevoirs, and i'll be good to go.

the ice probe is cool - it's made for fish tanks, to keep the water cool for cold water fish under all those hot fishtank lights. gonna be able to keep the water at or below 0c in my system fairly easily (actually water+antifreeze mix) which should increase the performance of my pelt.

the fx60 is a righteous beast of a processor. without any water cooling - just the cpu fan - i was able to get it to 3 ghz and stable no problem. calculated pi to 10 mil places in under 30 sec :smug:

so...anyone else into this particular province of geekistan? :hyper:

2. wow!
    water cooled? pretty sweet!
    the only thing keeping me from getting a water cooled system, is what if it leaks! all that gear ruined...but i suppose there are safeguards for that...

sweet computer!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I like to build PC's. I hard a hard time being convinced that water cooled PC's were the way to go. Something about adding water lines in among all those electronics made me nervous. :D

The place I work at now has a sweet lab set up, so I spend alot of time in there. We build all of our PC's for our employees.

-Mike

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks man.

i'm going to actually have 2 cooling systems, one for the ram and cpu, the other for everything else.

common practice w/water cooling stuff is to "burn" it in for at least a day, from what i've read - some guys even do 2 days. i probably will too, just to be safe. still, though, there are some chances of catastrophes, but that's what makes custom computers an eXtreme sport :bassist: :rolleyes: heh heh :D

the case i have is a cube, 18 inches on a side, made by a place called mountain mods - www.mountainmods.com. my wife got if for me as an anniversary present :).

i love all this stuff - it's really cool to me to put it together from scratch. i've learned more about the functions of everything on a mother board and cpu in the past month than i did my whole time at ga tech getting my ee degree.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh man. paid to do this? wow. need help? :D

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hehehe. The guy who owns our company likes to have the latest, greatest technology. So it falls upon me and the other IT guy to keep up on this stuff.

We don't do the PC's with all the crazy lights and decorate them though. Well, ours are, but we work in the back.

-Mike

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh. speaking of crazy lights, i don't have any of them yet, but i'm going to heh. gonna do the whole "borg cube" thing. not too often done, believe it or not, i only know of one other computer done that way.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I think its great that people are out there building their own PC's. I've considered it many many times, but I'm not a gamer, or anything that requires a lot of processing power, so a simple Gateway or Dell will do just fine for me.

My roommate in fact built the PC he's using at college. Only severely broken down TWICE in one Semester and took him at least three weeks to get it running each time.

Let's see some pics of your beast machine.

9. Cool Gaming rig! I though I was the only one above 35 years old. :D

I haven't built a new once in a couple of years so I am due, but for now it's doing just fine for what I need.

A P4 2.5 processor. Had it running at 3.0 pretty stable.
    Abit IC7-Max3
    2 x IBM 80GB Raid 0
    GeForce FX5900
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Just regular air cooling, I can't remember which heat sink but it's a big'n
    I feel the same way about water cooling, lights and window. It's not for me. I did paint my own case though. It looks pretty cool.

All this stuff is so out of date, but that usually happens about a month after you build one. Plus I haven't had the bug to get a new game so what I have is more than good enough. I never did finish Doom 3.

I'm certainly not in the realm of computer geektum. I basically learned to do it on my own. I only bought one PC off the shelf, a HP. I was pretty p.o.'ed because I spent like two grand and it would lock up when playing Unreal Tournament (GOTY edition). I learned how to put in a video card (PCI back then) and a sound card and I was on my way. Now I just build my own.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This is normally the case. Honestly, I think my boss is crazy having us build custom PC's. We can get the latest Dell with the 19" LCD for under $500.

-Mike

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh. it's all good. this is my first machine that i built. before this one i've been a die-hard dell dude (4 dells over the past 7 years).

no cool video cards for me yet, though - the one i got is a pos. gonna get a pair of 7800 gtx 512's when they come down in price some. hopefully in march.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i gotta get some this weekend, before i put the water cooling stuff in.

13. That's one of the best things about building it yourself. I spent about $800-$900 on the last one. New PCU, mobo, memory, video card, sound card, SETA HD's and got something the equivalent or better than a $3000.00 computer would cost you off the shelf.

When a new video card or whatever come out you can upgrade. Eventually you will have enough spare parts to build another one and sell it. :D

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just built my new box on the cheap in October and November, and it's working great. I'm not a gamer - it was built as a surfer and photo processing machine (Nikon Capture needs lots of RAM):

* P4 630 3 GHz processor (64 bit)
    * Intel D945GTP mobo with 1066 MHz FSB and onboard 7.1
    * 1 Gig of Corsair XMS PC2 5400 DDR2 RAM, with another gig of the same on order
    * Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA 3.0

I reused an old CD reader and CD-RW burner, and will replace them with DVD reader and burner at some point. I'm also still running native mobo video - I'll grab a inexpensive X16 format video card when I get a new power supply. I'm also looking at new cooling - I'm OK with the OEM fan, but could use a little more. The problem is space - I'm in a uATX case.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    here's one thing i've discovered when installing from scratch - even with service pack 2 windows does not include native support/drivers for SATA drives. that means that, unless you have the drivers for your particular drive -and- SATA controller, windows won't even recognize that there's a drive there.

that was a pain in the butt to deal with. heh.

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea. I built my own for the first time about 9 years ago, after that it's just been a string of upgrades, since everything is modular and replaceable. I've just gotten irritated with some of the upgrades, like when I went from a P2 to a P4 about 2 years ago and didn't find out till I was home that the power supply needed a different plug :mad: . But it was nice at the time to be able to keep the HDs (9 of them hitting about 1.2TB of them!!!) video/TV Capture card, SCSI, Monitor, the huge case and all. I think it cost me about $400 to go from a old P2 to a brand new near top of the line (P4 2.8Ghz) Motherboard, Processor, and 512 MB RAM (eventually upped to 1G).

Now I'm looking to move into the SATA HDs and maybe get either one of those cool external SATA boxes with the removable drive trays, but who knows, by then they'll probably have Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) out there and reasonably prices and I'll probably look into that.

18. Yikes! That is a hot computer!:eek: I bet that AthlonFX60 costs more than my whole computer!

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh yeah, got it for a relatively good price from zipzoomfly, but what do you expect when the processor is only 3 days old heh.

20. Tell me you're not going to put windows on that hardware....

..that's like taking the body of a Corvette and sticking a itty bitty lawnmower engine in it