Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Conklin 5-string

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Eric Perry, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Hey guys....

I'm not sure I wanna do this or not, but I'm kinda putting the feelers out on my Conklin. If you might be interested, make me some offers (cash or possible trade offers).

It's a 5-string Sidewinder Conklin. Korina body, Birdseye Maple top and fretboard. Maple/Purpleheart laminate neck. Gotoh tuners, Hipshot 'A' bridge (spacing at the bridge is 19mm), Aguilar OBP-3 (volume with push/pull mid selector, blend, stacked bass/treble, and mid), and Bartolini p/u's.

The bass would come in its original Conklin case in equally good condition.

It's in almost perfect shape with little or no fret wear. It had the OBP-3 installed after I got it (I'm the second owner). I had the volume installed away from the other knobs and closer to the neck p/u for quick access (I do lots of volume swells, etc).

Overall, the bass is in close to perfect condition. I'd say an easy 9/10. There is a *small* area of dulled finish on top of the neck p/u where I rest my thumb.

You can see more pics of it on Bill's website here. The bass as it sits now is pictured below...

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking everyone!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So how much are you asking??

3. Hey Mark...
    I honestly don't know. I'm not in a position where I need to sell it at all. it's just that I rarely play it. It just sits in it's case. I hate to see it go to waste.

I guess I'd sooner prefer a trade for something that'd get my *practice* juices flowing again. I'd consider cash offer also, however. This one did it for a while, but not so much anymore. As much as I hate to admit it, my GT-5 has always been my "go-to" bass regardless of what I've owned. If only it had wider spacing!!! I love that thing. It's a true workhorse. AND, I don't care if it gets gouged up here or there. If the custom one got boogered, I'd be PISSED. That's one of the reasons it never comes out to shows.

Besides, 5 strings is just a toy for you anyway!!! :D :D :D

4. So have you come up with a cash price yet? I have had gas for that very combination of body/neck since I got my GT5. I recently picked up a used Dean 5er and i really like the wider string spacing, as compared to the Gt5. While I have a half a dozen basses, I doubt that I would have anything you would be interested in as a trade.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    PM jt about it. although he proabably already has 1.... or 2....

6. 5-strings don't even reach "toy" status for JT and his monsters!!!

budreau, I'm taking offers. Cash, trade, or both. I'm hoping to to replace the Conklin with a Roscoe, so that would be a nice trade teaser.

Straight out cash, I honestly don't know what it's worth. I do know, based on Bill Conklins price page here with the options it has (Birdseye Maple top and fretboard, and the OBP-3) the price *new* is $4,550. Bill is also running at a 9-12 month build time.

Hope that helps a bit. If anyone knows what it's actually worth, please post your thoughts, or PM me!

THANKS!!!

7. Month-later bump!!!

Anyone? Beuller..... Beuller..... Beuller..... :D