Custom Conklin 5-string

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Eric Perry, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Hey guys....

I'm not sure I wanna do this or not, but I'm kinda putting the feelers out on my Conklin. If you might be interested, make me some offers (cash or possible trade offers).

It's a 5-string Sidewinder Conklin. Korina body, Birdseye Maple top and fretboard. Maple/Purpleheart laminate neck. Gotoh tuners, Hipshot 'A' bridge (spacing at the bridge is 19mm), Aguilar OBP-3 (volume with push/pull mid selector, blend, stacked bass/treble, and mid), and Bartolini p/u's.

The bass would come in its original Conklin case in equally good condition.

It's in almost perfect shape with little or no fret wear. It had the OBP-3 installed after I got it (I'm the second owner). I had the volume installed away from the other knobs and closer to the neck p/u for quick access (I do lots of volume swells, etc).

Overall, the bass is in close to perfect condition. I'd say an easy 9/10. There is a *small* area of dulled finish on top of the neck p/u where I rest my thumb.

You can see more pics of it on Bill's website here. The bass as it sits now is pictured below...

Thanks for looking everyone!
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So how much are you asking??
  3. Hey Mark...
    I honestly don't know. I'm not in a position where I need to sell it at all. it's just that I rarely play it. It just sits in it's case. I hate to see it go to waste.

I guess I'd sooner prefer a trade for something that'd get my *practice* juices flowing again. I'd consider cash offer also, however. This one did it for a while, but not so much anymore. As much as I hate to admit it, my GT-5 has always been my "go-to" bass regardless of what I've owned. If only it had wider spacing!!! I love that thing. It's a true workhorse. AND, I don't care if it gets gouged up here or there. If the custom one got boogered, I'd be PISSED. That's one of the reasons it never comes out to shows.

Besides, 5 strings is just a toy for you anyway!!! :D :D :D
  4. So have you come up with a cash price yet? I have had gas for that very combination of body/neck since I got my GT5. I recently picked up a used Dean 5er and i really like the wider string spacing, as compared to the Gt5. While I have a half a dozen basses, I doubt that I would have anything you would be interested in as a trade.
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    PM jt about it. although he proabably already has 1.... or 2....
  6. 5-strings don't even reach "toy" status for JT and his monsters!!!

budreau, I'm taking offers. Cash, trade, or both. I'm hoping to to replace the Conklin with a Roscoe, so that would be a nice trade teaser.

Straight out cash, I honestly don't know what it's worth. I do know, based on Bill Conklins price page here with the options it has (Birdseye Maple top and fretboard, and the OBP-3) the price *new* is $4,550. Bill is also running at a 9-12 month build time.

Hope that helps a bit. If anyone knows what it's actually worth, please post your thoughts, or PM me!

7. Month-later bump!!!

Anyone? Beuller..... Beuller..... Beuller..... :D