Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Conklin 8 string on ebay!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Oct 23, 2002.

1. I love the comment about it being "more for show than anything..."

:D

2. [​IMG]

looks familiar (despite cruddy pic quality)- Conklin 8 string, fanned-lined-fretless, one pickup very close to the bridge-
    isn't that the bass that Jauqo III-X said he owned?

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    This looks like the one that was up on the Bass Palace website for a long time.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's jauqo's old bass, that he had built for him.

anybody see him lately? i wonder what's up with him.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, maybe it's just me, but what's the point of the fanned lines on a fretless? It seems like a good way to confuse the heck out of yourself with intonation.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Man, that bass has been everywhere...Luthier's Access had it for a long time too, I think.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It has all the same benefits of a fanned-fret system (multi-scale length) system on a fretted.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I can see the advantage of the multiple scale lengths like in the fretted models, but I guess it just doesn't seem worth it to me on a fretless where finger placement is so key. That's putting your muscle memory on overdrive right there.

9. DIFF-once you get used to the fanning, its second nature. I recently posted picts of my Dingwall fretless bass.
    It is lined and I find it equally as easy to play as my fretted Dingwall (and my old "normal fingerboard fretless"). You gain all the benefits of the fanned fretboard instrument and I have no problem w/ the finger placement. It all w/ what your used to.
    frank

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've played that fanned fret 8 string, and it wasn't as hard as it would seem to intonate properly.

the big issue with this bass is the lack of diversity in the tone - with a single pickup placed that close to the bridge and no control but volume, you have to really tweak the amp to get it to sound usable, imo.

11. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's part of the problem when you make such a specialized, specific, niche instrument such as that bass. The chances of it becoming a white elephant are large.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I know this is an old thread but I would just like to comment on the Bass.I had Bill Conklin make it for me.the bass sounds and plays like butter.it is to me one of the best 8 strings I have played.so why did I get rid of it.well the body was just a little to big for me and it would get pretty heavy even in a gig bag.and I started missing the fact that I prefer a fretless without lines(a silly pet peve of mine)the one pickup and volum knob worked for me(I have other fretlesses with only one volume knob and one pickup) since most of my tone is coming from my hands anyway.the bass is not for eveyone but it is a good instument for the open minded.it has even crossed my mind a few times to get it back but who knows.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks for this feeback, man. I was seriously interested in that bass when it was up for auction and the current owner seems like a really nice cat.

14. yeah, I made some inquiries about it when it was at Bass Palace. I think Greg Campbell did, too. my next Conklin may well be a fretless...

from the low end,

Stew