Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom conklin on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 8, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you'd think that i would be all over this one, and i would be if i had the dough, but i don't think people realize what's going on with this bass, so if anybody is interested in a 7 string Groove Tools, check this out first...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1414350092

this is a hand-made custom conklin from missouri. it's got lane poor pickups - my favorite! :( wish i had the dough - and an ABM bridge with piezo pickups. this bass new would cost over US$3000. no telling what the guy's got the reserve set at, but the first bid is at $700.

this bass is totally hand made - for what appears to be the price of a GT-7, you can have a custom, hand made conklin, which is about 3x the bass the groove tools are.

i know this sounds like a commercial post, but i have no connection with the seller or anything. it's just that, if i were working, i would've been all over this one like white on rice.

he's already had it posted once before, at $1000 i think, and nobody bid on it.

it's a really good deal, and i think it's slipping under the radar because the seller doesn't realize that people might think it's a groove tools, which it isn't - this one is a custom!

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    thanks for the heads up JT!!!

always love looking at the C's!

f

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's probably my fav 7 conklin I've ever seen. Drat the money shortage!

4. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    I dont like many Conklins, but that one is nice. Too bad I can't afford it..... schiznit!!!

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He is right! Somebody buy that puppy! Hey turner you ever went in to conklin before? They are in my city! They will take you on a tour of the shop if you come! You should come down i will go with ya! You should brieng a bass and have them both sign it!

6. Eric, JT prolly lives there :D hehehehe

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i might just be tuners best friend in a year or so i called bill conklin and told him i was going to the robeto vinn school of lutherie and he told me he would like to hire me when i got back to springfield! So hopefully it will work out that way!

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've hung out with bill and phil on numerous occasions over the past 8 years. and they've signed all 8 (soon to be more) of my 7 and 8 string basses - they're all custom instruments.

and yeah, if you can handle the school of luthierie, definitely give bill a call - he can definitely use the help.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I saw that bass the first time it was up for auction. Very nice. I really like the looks of the cherry body! It's a little too much bass for me - String and $$$ wise :( . I'm still shopping for a mid priced 6-string. I'm hoping the Conklin GT-6 will pop up at this Summer's NAMM :D .

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bill is introducing a signature model marco mendoza 6 string fretted and fretless models - very nice carved body, excellent custom bartolini pickups and preamp. very cool.

11. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Thanks, John
    I won't get it, but it's not because I didn't bid!
    (It's 'cause I'm so dang cheeep)

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'd be all over this one, too, if I knew what my future employment looked like. I mean, I'm almost certain that I'm going to get that AF gig, and then I'd buy it, but never count your conklins, ya know?

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the AF?!? man, pretty soon you'll be in the national guard. then what, the millitia? the boy scouts? :D

(don't let lump see that :eek: )

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh Turner, you coward... wimp... get a loan! You NEED that bass! Feel the urge! The GAS! That bass is all yours, you can swing the dough, no problem! Hell, sell one of your kindergarten crayons, then you'll afford it!

Buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy...!

;)

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    yeah, I didn't tell you? it'll be me and the mrs, in the same band. i though for sure i told you....

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Marco has been known to play Fernandes basses, so I hope his Conklin sig. model doesn't have that ridiculously tight Fernandes string spacing:eek:. If the string spacing is "normal" then the Marco basses sound pretty cool:cool:.

17. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Seems like a more than reasonable change to get back into the 7 string business! I'll just find out what the seller thinks about shipping to finland..

18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I shipped from Canada to Iceland not long ago. It was not a problem at all. A little expensive, but not bad.

I can't see the picture of the conklin, I don't know why, I tryed to refresh the site a couple of times with no luck, can someone post it here please?

thank you!

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    try this...

[​IMG]

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    didn't work either John...I don't know why. I have the same thing as on the web site. A white square with a red X in it....

Thank you anyway