Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Curbows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Apr 2, 2001.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, after a couple of months of frustration, I am finally taking my Int'l Petite 5 string to Curbow to have him do some mods to it. I've been playing it tuned EADGC for about 2 years now, and I'm gonna have him change the nut out for the smaller strings, and set it up with TI Jazz Flats.

I'm also gonna have him rip out the Bartolini preamp, and drop in an EMG 18 V system. He says that they are amazing, and have headroom from hell. I can't wait to get it back from him.

I'm also gonna be talking to him about a 6 string bass. I'm thinking Bird's Eye Maple top on a mahogany body. The Cort's are nice, but with two Greg Curbow built basses at home, I just don't think I can go with anything less.

Of course, the downside is that I won't have the 5 string to bring with me to the ATL get together on Saturday. Oh, well.

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

maybe ask Dave Pushic (dpcustom.com) about it.

David

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I dont think David Pushic makes Curbow basses.
    :)

I like Curbow´s work, especially the Rockwood (Pakka) neck. It is better than a wood neck and does not have the sterile sound that graphite does.

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Sounds good...except your gonna be spending more money on the batteries for that 18 volt system then you origonally did on all of your basses
    combined.Have fun though.

5. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

you could give David a sketch and he would make a curbow-looking bass for you (of course not exactly)...

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wow. Pushic basses pop up in every thread these days. I have been very interested in Pushic basses, but I have two Curbows, and by the time I added all of the options of the Curbow (brass tone block, sperzel tuners, EMG electronics, Bartolini pickups, semi hollow, carved birdseye maple top on mahogany back), I think even Dave Pushic would be charging at least a $1000. And, not to mention, I'm pretty sure Dave can't get a rockwood neck unless he gets one from Curbow.

And, I have also known Curbow for about 12 years, and have two of his custom basses and I am 100% that Pushic, no matter how amazing his basses and prices are, cannot match the price I am going to be paying for it.

But, if you want a great bass for cheap, I'd say give Pushic a try. I was considering it strongly until I talked to Curbow about some other stuff.