1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom DarkStar Pbass Advice Wanted.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chronicle, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright guys so this summer when i'm off from college, i'm gonna be working my ass off for a new custom bass.

I chose Warmoth because it seems they make some quality stuff and the website is awesome.

So let me fill you guys in what i want...

I want a bass that can growl. Let's say like my Rickenbacker but with more "omfph" if that's how you spell it ;P

So I've decided to do this:

NECK

• 13 degree angled Warmoth headstock
    • Birdseye Maple neck with Satin finish(I haven't had experience with satin, only gloss but it seems satin makes for faster playing...)
    • 20 Frets Ebony Fretboard
    • Brass nut (Or bone? Advice please)
    • Not sure about fret size.. what about SS6230?
    • Double Expanding truss rod system (Anyone like this?)
    • Mother of Pearl dots

BODY

• Body wood: Okay, i was thinking Pbody...either Flamed Maple or An Ash wood... suggestions? I was also thinking Mahagony but it's on the "warm" side of the scale where I'm only used to the "bright" side of the scale with my basses.
    • Custom Finish: White to Black burst. Think a Silverburst Gibson gu**ar. It would look like the black in the middle is going up the Ebony neck. Would look sick, no?

The Good stuff...
    • Pickups: Two Dark stars, but where should they go on the body? One close to the bridge but should i put the second on in the middle or closer to the top? Hmmm..
    • Electronics: Hmm should i leave it passive or active? Audere or ACG?
    • Tuners: Schallers probably
    • Bridge: Badass II Probably...
    • No Pickguard

So advice, comments, anything is welcome ;]

PS If my fellow TB NY GTG Nino wants to pop in and steal me away from Warmoth, then be my guest :]

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    maybe i just missed it, but....what shape?

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Oh yeah, P-body.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    but with J electronics? :eyebrow:

color me curious, sounds intriguing :)

and sounds quite growly. big plus ;)

5. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    woops...forgot about the part where you detailed the pickups :smug:

id say put the darkstars near J pickups positions, and then leave her passive...but thats just me.

sounds lovely, im excited to hear sound clips whenever you do it! :hyper:

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Cool, thanks for the feedback. I might actually get Nino to make me this-- i'll pop him a PM :]

Btw, with the Audere preamp, i could get a passive/active switch :]

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    that audere sounds like a good idea -- best of both worlds kinda thing. as for nino making it, i dont see why...to me, thats one of the most fun parts :) but, i really enjoy building. so thats just me. ;)

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Here's a quick mockup on how i'd like the finish to come out... The headstock would be black though.

Don't mind my bad photoshop skills ;[

PbassJRbigcopy.

9. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Are you going with Darkstar or Blackhole?:)
    Couldnt resist