1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dinghy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm not actually planning to build this(haven't the tools or the skills), but I enjoyed designing it, and maybe it might give some people some ideas.

[​IMG]

2. :eyebrow: interesting........yes very interesting.

3. pretty sick, im not sure of the strenght of it, but very awesome design. Props to you

4. very interesting idea - I like it.
    I would change the angle of the tuning machine at the bass of the neck - have it run the other way, along the bottom/ right side of the bass with the controls on the portion of wood that covers them. I dunno why I might do this, but I might.

Draw it and see how it looks?

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    [​IMG]

Chew on that, while I go sleep now.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    BRILLIANT!
    This is a perfect mix between convention and creativity!

Personally, I detest headstocks, but here it is a part of the convention, so it's OK.
    The tuner arrangement is extremely creative. Very good! Just one thing: what about the access to the tuners? You may have to tweak that s little bit.
    The later version with the tuners on the other angle is not as appealing; not aestetically, and not practically. You need the material around the controls to make a good installation.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very interesting are standard strings long enough to make it? The d and the g look like long runs..t

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    If this is a standard 34" scale the body would have to be HUGE to have the tuners arranged like that behind the bridge. With a normal design the bridge is right at the bottom of the body like on a Fender but with this it appears you'd have to have around 6-8" of wood behind the bridge making for a fairly large bass.

9. TheDirtyMoocher

TheDirtyMoocher

Nov 11, 2004
    You could just use a long 24+ fret neck and an average size body. With the tuning keys at the bottom and a small headstock you probably wouldn't even have to worry about neck dive.