1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bloodline462, Sep 11, 2008.

1. bloodline462

bloodline462

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Anyone know if it's possible to have a pedal altered to only engage when you hold the footswitch down, and disengage when it's released, like the hold feature on a boss dd3 delay? I want a pedal that will allow me to add one or two heavily distorted notes into my slap lines, similar to the way les claypool does in my name is mud, but dont wanna have to press a pedal twice for 1 note. I'd like to alter something like a Metal Zone pedal, and use the pedals thick distortion on a low slap on the B or E string in the middle of a riff, then release it to continue with the riff. any ideas??

2. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, It's definately possible (more with the other kind of switches...not like boss) to just replace a 3PDT with a momentary switch or somthing. I'm not an electronics guy so I don't know the details.

However, the more cost effective way requires no mods at all. Just turn the pedal on for as long as you want, then turn it off. :p

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    +1 for the momentary switch - just make sure you get a heavy duty one.

But I think the idea would make the pedal a real one trick - seeing as you'd always have to stand on the pedal.

What if you want to throw modulation effect on during the distortion then turn it off? sounds like pedal tap dancing to me.

Oh and the boss pedals use an electronic switching system - relays which means the switch is already a momentary but you'd have to do some modifications to the relay in the pedal - which may or may not be practical considering the existing circuit board.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It would be pretty easy to have both a latching and a momentary switch. If you want to do this to a Boss pedal, the easiest way would be to either buy or build a true bypass loop box with one latching and one momentary switch for bypass. I'm sure this guy could do it. The upside to this is that your pedal would be unmodded in case you want to sell it, and you could swap in any distortion you want and keep the momentary function without having to mod a new pedal whenever your taste in distortion changes.