Custom effects loop - relay help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by unrealrocks, May 26, 2005.

1. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    This might not be the best place to stick this - if not can it be moved please :)

I'm planning out designs for a custom switching system to allow me to reroute my signal on my rack as I need. I plan to control this from some distance so rather than running long signal cables and various switches, I want to use relays to switch the signal ... my question is, will any relays do or do I need relays designed for audio applications?

Also do I need to add anything else to the circuits on the audio side to stop pops or anything else?

Cheers :)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Diystompboxes is a great place ! :smug:

I made a bypass with a relay, and am planning to do another soon. I used a relay found in a broken modem.

To my knowledge, there isn't audio-purposes relay,but you should choose a low-signal relay, not a power relay, of course (ou won't need to switch 380 volts ! :) )

Pops would I think depend on what you connect to the relays. If there is pops, you should use the traditional method, caps and pulldown resistors. All is really well explained at diystomboxes (have a look at the faq).

There is in the forum (diy) a project from a member who realised something like that, a great switching pedalboard, with relays. You should try to find it and read it, it was pretty interesting.