1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Fender P/J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Mar 25, 2009.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    A friend of mine decided build a custom Fender P/J bass, the other day. He gave me a list of what he was going to use in it, and he wanted me to tell him if it would be a good combination. I thought it was kinda-standard, but awesome. I just wanted a second opinion, what do you guys think?

Here's the spec's
    -Ash P-bass body(no pickguard)
    -Maple Jazz bass neck(Geddy Lee size, painted black)
    -Ebony fretboard with pearl block inlays
    -Hipshot ultra-lites
    -Badass II bridge
    -EMG active P/J set
    -Pickup selector switch
    -Side-mounted jack plate
    -knurled chrome control knobs(2 volume, 1 tone)
    -All black hardware
    -Silverburst finish on the body

2. Why have a selector switch and 2 volume knobs?

Have you ever messed with EMG pickups? I'm not bashing them, but I wouldn't say they're the most flexible of pickups out there unless you have something like an 18v Mike Pope pre-amp.

3. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    "Why have a selector switch and 2 volume knobs?"

That's what I was thinking, I guess he just wants more knobs to mess with.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    How about a kill switch instead of a selector switch?

If he's loading it with EMGs I think he should get a preamp.

5. I was planning to do something similar, i.e. a P/J fretless with a jazz neck but a bit more Fodera-like body. The wood choices are exactly the same along with the wood so with BAII and EMG P/J it's going to rock.

Tremendously :bassist:

And I think a pickup blending pot or even two volume controls for each pickup are better diversity-wise then a selector switch.

6. I'd also suggest a pre-amp with EMGs. Don't get me wrong, I like the tone, but it's just not something that's terribly useful when you're not shooting for a very grindy and aggressive tone.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed with all on the p'up selector

re. the EMG thing: I used EMGs for years and never needed or used any preamp - they have built in preamps. If you're looking for a more... oh, I don't know - vintage grind, I'd look at passive p'ups with perhaps a preamp. But I have nothing against EMGS, per se.

OH - and before you rush out to buy Hipshot Ultralights, make sure you neck will take them - the UL tuners have pretty small diameter pegs. I'd suggest you save some money and just use the vintage Hipshot tuners (I'd get a d-tuner as well, but that's how I roll)...

8. My old Kramer Forum I has the same electronics Spector was using back in the late 80's. With the 2 band, it gets a passable Fender-ish sound. My new Stambaugh with a 18v Mike Pope pre is much more flexible and covers a lot of ground.

9. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'd also recommend a preamp to go with your EMG pickups. EMG makes several different preamps, so some research about the preamps and which pickups they recommend to match up to the preamps would be helpful. Also, one feature I do not have in my bass, but would like: a switch to bypass the preamp in case your batteries die, so that your bass will still produce sound (it would be without the preamp, but would be preferable to your bass just going silent).

10. I believe most models are truly active pickups, but I've heard they offer a few that can be run passively.

11. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I advised him to get a pre-amp, although I kind of like the sound of the EMG's by themselves myself. I felt that the silverburst was a really nice color choice, since you don't see many P-basses in silverburst.

12. They definitely have THAT sound, but just trying to help ya have a bass that keeps your options open. ;)

13. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Not true- they come in 1/2" & 3/8" dia.

14. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Thank Goodness for that, i´m looking into some of those in black...

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Unless Im ignorant on the word knurled, how can there be chrome knobs with all black hardware?