1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

custom foot switch for my GP11 TraceElliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chunkyzz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Chunkyzz

Chunkyzz

Mar 1, 2012
    heya guys,
    i have a question!

i have a Vintage trace elliot GP11
    with a graphic EQ and also it has a pre shape switch and an in/out switch for the EQ and a noise reduction as well

the thing is that this amp is old...its a combo now but i am going to make it a head only,the thing is!

i want to make the EQ (in/out) and the pre shape switches to switch by a pedal switch,but there is no place to plug a foot switch...
    anyone know if i can make a custom one?
    anyone experienced something like that before?

dont mind drilling or making a custom foot switch access and rewiring just need to know if its doable
    thanks!

Gal

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Hmmm.. I have an old AH350X with the same switches but always tend to leave the eq in and the noise reduction on and hadn't thought about foot-switching them. However, if you can obtain footswitches with the same pole and throw configurations I can't think of any reason why you couldn't parallel off from the existing switches. Obviously, you'd have to leave the onboard switches in the open position for the footswitch to work.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    For someone who is an expert in electronics it would be do-able but expensive. Some who is not will most likely end up with a ruined amp. You can't add functionality that isn't designed into the original product very easily.

4. Chunkyzz

Chunkyzz

Mar 1, 2012
    well...
    how i see it you only need to open the front panel and replace the switch with something else or keep it in a position that the foot switch just turns it off,like cutting the circuit(like Sneakypete said)
    i wont be doing it alone its a piece of history my amp and i can afford a new one and i really like the sound.
    i got a good friend that all he is doing is building/repairing amps/effect/guitar and also building custom cabinets and effects
    even does pickups,so he is going to do all the work so my amp is in good hands,

thanks for the help:hyper: