1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom fretboard inlay questionarino's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by behndy, May 28, 2011.

1. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    howdy all!

i.... THINK this is the right section for this question. i'm a bad, bad person if it's not, and i apologize profusely.

i only have one bass i like right now. a Digwall AB I sixer. and i LOVE it. i can tell i'm never getting rid of it EVAH. i have one tattoo on my body. sorta permanent so i've got no plans of getting rid of THAT. i've always thought it's be super fantastic happy fun time to incorporate part of the design on one into the other.

my question i guess is two- or three-fold, since i'm a complete gidget about the wonderful things you delicious people do when building basses.

01) is custom fretboard inlay usually only done during the building process? or after the bass has been completed also?

02) besides the obvious size differences of a fretted fan fret neck, is it a bad idea to do a custom inlay on a fanned fret neck? whoo! REDUNDANT use of same phrase! SKEELZ!

03) how long does something like this usually take? i go on 2-3 week trips to Japan occasionally, and that's the only time i can see being ok with not having my only bass i like available.

thanks ever so much you beautiful, BEAUTIFUL peoples!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Custom inlay is generally done during the build process, there are some master inlay artists who would do it on an already fretted instrument if itwas possible(design specific) that would be upto the artist so that would be apossible place top look(inlay artisans)but this could take longer than a couple weeks. Best of luck.

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    thanks for the info!

4. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    At the risk of thread jacking, could this be done on a fretless board?

5. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Easier on fretless, but still not ideal

6. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    not a hijack at all!

yeah, makes sense that not working around frets would be easier.

7. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    I was thinking about replacing the board on my fretless, so if I did this, could I also get an inlay in the process with minimal trouble to the luthier?

8. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I don't know how much easier it would be on a fretless, they are pretty easy to inlay and re-deck the board on a fretless.