1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Fretless 4 is done!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Tireless hours with two different mentors, plus me painting, priming, assembling and wiring (first time soldering) the whole thing together....could it be better? Of course. But it's my first hand-built instrument. I'm proud....please, tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

2. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Whoa...funky! Never seen a bass like that before--looks like it came out of a cartoon! What's your impression of it? What are the specs? Did you do the whole thing (neck, finishing, etc.) yourself?

3. Hee hee! Thanks I guess...cartoony..hmm.

Specs:
    Carvin NT4 Neckthru Fretless Unlined Neck
    Alder (for body sides, purchased from my mentor)
    EMG-MMTW Stingray-style active pickup
    Gotoh Tuners
    Kahler 2440 Fixed Bridge
    Duncan Straplocks
    Comfort Strapp strap

I worked for about 2 months with two different mentors for almost everything. I did all the painting, sanding, final hardware and pickup assembly (NOT routing, aheh), and wiring myself.

My impression? The 14 inches of center body wood that extends off of a Carvin Neckthru wasn't enough for the shape I wanted originally. But man, this baby hangs perfectly. I made sure that upper horn was nice and long. Needs more clearcoat for protection, but the neck is nice and smooth. When I get a setup, it'll play great.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    How much does it weigh?

5. Haven't weighed it yet, but very light. No neckdive whatsoever.

6. nice bass man, and great job. Not a giant fan of the shape but i love to see that you built it from basically scratch. Really love it man.

BTW i love your bed sheets too, i love dinosaurs..

7. Thanks for the honesty of your reply! I also hate parts of the shape, specifically the lower end...I only had 14 inches of the Carvin Neckthrough to use, so it got a lil' bulbous.

And those sheets are a longtime treasure of mine, ahahh.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    If you're going for a solid finish, what's stoping you from putting some alder on the bottom and extending the body?

In complete honesty, I absolutely abhore the shape.

9. What stopped me? Skill level.

Aheh....ouch. It's okay, in the end I'm concerned about how it plays more than how it looks.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree, cartoon-y... but that is pretty cool. I could see Devo 2.0 or "Man or Astroman" or similar using it. Or maybe Jauqo III-X... :) Or Ron Thal!

11. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Dude where can I order a set of your bedsheets.

Just the comforter. ...With the dinoes on it. =D

12. No idea.

Bass comments, purdy please...I'm no Nino Valenti but I mean....sheesh. First attempt at creating an instrument.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, how about this: at least you used a good neck with a truss rod, and a real bridge, unlike Wishnevsky. And he's built over 500 basses! So an honest "good for you" on those choices.

14. Much respect mon :)

You know what I always say-

Could be worse...could be a Wish!

15. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Well... a few tips maybe?

If you intend on doing more instruments can I suggest spending some time on the "luthier's corner" section of this forum and also www.projectguitar.com they are both amazing sources of guitar building learning material (maybe you did already, I don't know)

If you want to build more I'd suggest getting a router with a follower bit and learn to build templates. Templates are a bass builder's best friend.

Coreldraw or any other design/cad software is also a luthier's best friend. You're wayyyy better off designing something on paper first before you start building. Make sure you print out all templates on paper at full size before you start cutting wood. Maybe that design that looked so cool on the computer or drawn by hand in a scrapbook isn't as nice in person, that's the only way to tell.

Biggest tip of all: take your time, don't rush it, be patient and don't accept less than perfection. My first bass took me 12 months to build. 6 of those months were spent on finishing, I had to have a sunburst and it took 6 months of trying for me to get it "good enough". :)

16. This is my last instrument for a while. I also had only a few months to design and build it, as it was a school project.

It gets turned in today!

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting.

18. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    About the bass:
    Don't worry dude.. It's your first bass, If the construction is right and it play's and sounds good, what's the problem? You'll build other basses in the futere.. And if you really hate you can always strip the parts of build yourself a new one..

But as said, be patient! It took me about 8 months or longer to build mine and I spend propably 6 months waiting for parts.. Because of my impatience, ik started carving the moding before I even the the measurements of the neck pocket, because of this I almost messed up the routing, so I almost got to trow my body away..
    So, a little patience makes a better bass!

About the bedsheet:
    Please find out were you can buy them,.. I gotta have em!

19. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I like Big Butts!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

How do I fit in the possible use of that Bass?

No disrespect to MaskedJackal who built the Bass but that is not a body style that I would use.