Custom fretless 5 - progress shots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 6, 2004.

1. OK - this is the bass I have been waiting over a year for - and it's almost ready. It's being made by a great luthier in Brighton, England - and it's actually made from a shelf he found in the school he works in, which happened to be African Mahogany! The grain is really beautiful - and haveing owned a natural finish Warwick Thumb for 13 years - I was really keen to just have it look as natural as possible. The string spacing will be around 19 mill, and the top of the headstock and pick-up covers are made out of Thuya Burr, with an ebony finger board, ebony backplate, truss rod cover and this surrounds for the outside of the pick-up wells, it will also have an EMG preamp and pickups, with a parametric EQ.

Obviously there will be a major gallery on my website when it's done - the first few pics here are taken off a video - so apologies for the quality, the finish had just gone on, Jeff has now sanded it down to a matt gloss - so if there are any bumps they have now gone!

Anyway I hope you like:
  2. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    is the neck and body one piece? looks great.
  3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Nice Axe! Mahogany ROCKS! :smug:
  4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    :eek: It seems as though the entire bass is carved out of one mothersized piece of mahogany!! Very nice!! :)
  5. It is! But it's been quarter sawn then book matched - the neck is two pieces, then the wings are from the same side - so there's this beautiful, asymetric, dark line down each side, but because it's irregular it varies in thickness, it's bloody gorgeous! The grain is unbelievable but these pics don't actually show it at it's best - better photos when it's ready!!!
    thanks for checking it out...
  6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    wow, never heard of a bass made like that sounds very cool. cant wait to see more.
  7. it's two weeks and counting until it gets here - you guys will be the first to know!
  8. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    looks like a Tobias. :smug:
  9. it's based on the classic Tobias outline - but with a few monor changes - i.e. it's a bit thinner width ways
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    hurts don't it ;)

Looks to be well worth the pain of waiting!!!! Congrats! How many hours a day do you stare at the photos?
    I know I spent way more time then I am willing to admit looking at the photos of my fretless :smug:
  11. Dude, it's not just the hours (years) of waiting - it's the amount of beer that I used to drink with the guy! He loves his ale and it's a good way for him to get work, I know it sounds a little sad but the guy's a bit of a local hero down his fave pub - basically he gets asked to fix at least two guitars a week and then he's always got about three or four basses or guitars (he makes gorgeous six string acoustics too) on the go at once - so I'm not the only one. But I tell you I will NOT be leaving the house for a few days when 'she' finally arrives, I deserve that goddammiitttt!!!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice wood, congrads!