1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom fretless project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeithPas, Aug 18, 2007.

1. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I got a cool looking 4 string body/neck combo (nech through) and decided to turn it into a bass.

Aside from the body/neck that come from an unknown builder I got the following to complete the bass:
    1. Diesel brand soapbars, pretty good pickup for the price
    2. Bart NTMB preamp
    3. No name aftermarket bridge, pretty good quality
    4. No name tuners from ebay
    5. Series/parallel/single coil switch for the bridge pickup
    I did not priginally plan on this being a fretless but when I started working on the bass with a guitar reparman friend of mine, we found out that the frets above the 12th fret were placed wrong. This means the bass would have never been able to be tuned properly or accurately. My friend then converted it to fretless. The neck is wide but I plan on re-shaping to give it more of a taper. Other than that it plays well and sounds great; has all the "bread and butter" fretless bass tones plus a nice faux upright tone if played muted.

Attached Files:

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Not bad looking. Is it one of those neck/body blanks from eBay? Very Ken Smith looking.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I actually got this in a trade with another TB'r but I'm sure it must have come from ebay. It is very Smith looking but I tried to reshape it a bit to lessen the look out of respect for the originator of the bass. Make no mistake about this is a nice fretless bass but it's no Smith. Fun project though and sounds great.