Custom FX loop/switch/thingee help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jgrotto, Feb 17, 2006.

1. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I have a Big Muff that I love. But I'd like it to have a true bypass switch. Also, I have a rackmount tuner and my new head doesn't have a tuner out. I don't want to run it through the FX loop and would only get a stage tuner if it had a true bypass switch. The only one on the market is around $200 and that's a little bit too steep. So I'm trying to find a way to do the following:

• Add a true bypass switch to my Big Muff
    • Have a continuous signal path to a tuner that is not being output(ted?) to the audio chain signal going into my head

I know there are some mods for true bypassing a Big Muff but I think there may be an easier/cheaper way to do that as well as having my tuner issues fixed. So, I'm thinking about getting a custom pedal built but I'm not sure if I'm leaving something out, what it would cost, or if it's even possible. Here's a rundown of what I need:

• One input for my bass to go into.
    • An effects loop w/ a true bypass switch (send would go to the Big Muff that would then be returned into a second input and could be turned on and off via the true bypass switch).
    • A second output would feed into a rackmount (or otherwise) tuner (this would require no switching and could continuously be feeding signal to the tuner).
    • A third output would be fed into my amp (when the FX loop was not being bypassed it would output only the Big Muff's outputs and if the FX loop was bypassed it would just be my clean bass signal).

Whuddya think?
  2. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm building that same thing right now, except with two loops. All you need is 2 3PDT switches (one for the tuner mute, one for a loop), if you need help wiring them I can give you a schematic.
  3. One word: Loooper

go check for yourself on the website, you'll find what you want.
  4. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Holy crap that rules. That's exactly what I need. The 1 Loooper with Tuner Mute. Thanks!!! (I'm so freakin' pumped... my girlfriend just called me a "big nerd."):hyper:
  5. No problem!

Glad you found what you were looking for
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Order a Loooper.

7. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    As soon as my paycheck clears. (Cursed President's Day...)
  8. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    So, my order is going in for the 1 Loooper + Tuner Mute. Thanks again everyone.
  9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA has a whole flock of looper/bypass configurations - some with a dedicated tuner-out jack - and their prices are really nice.