1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom G&L's: How Much? and How Long?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by 43% burnt, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Last night, I had a vision! :eek:

USA L-2000
    #6 Neck
    Flame maple top
    Redburst finish
    Matching headstock
    Birdseye maple neck
    Unmarked ebony fretboard
    Chrome hardware

Can you see it? I'm getting crazy just thinking about it! I've never seen an L2K in that finish, but I'm sure it would be pure sexiness. I've also never seen an unmarked fretboard on a G&L, besides on a fretless.

Anyone here ever order a custom shop G&L? Do you think they would build this bass for me? How much would something like this run me? How long would it take to build?

ASTD_Redburst_body.
    Imagine this, but an L2K...I just love this finish!!

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Well here's flame (under an amber finish, skinny neck not sure if it's #6 or #8):
    [​IMG]

and here's an unmarked rosewood fretboard (tobacco burst w/matching stock, #8 neck):
    [​IMG]

and here's an L2k in redburst w/matching headstock (at Buffalo Brothers):

[​IMG]

mmmm tasty - I like it.

Buffalo Bros also has a page with the list price of custom options - those figured tops can get expensive, it looks like.

Price - depends on the dealer. Give a few a shout and see what they say. Timing - depends on how busy G&L is and when their next batch of your type of bass is being built. Both times I ordered a new one it took slightly less than the time I was quoted, but it still felt like forever. When you check with dealers for prices ask what the current build times are - they vary.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm waiting on a special order L-1500, and was told 12-14 weeks, but apparently this depends on where your order falls in G&L's model production cycle, i.e., it will be shorter if they happen to be making bodies for L-2000's the week your order arrives. And apparently it takes longer when special tops are involved. There's a recent thread about this over in the Dudepit:

http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=13107

By the way, your vision is inspiring. I saw the redburst L-2000on the Buffalo Bros. site yesterday, and it looks righteous with the matching headstock. I read somewhere (I think the Dudepit) that G&L rejected a batch of birdseye maple recently, so that might take longer. Besides, I'm not sure I'd spend for that unless it were on the fretboard too, and thus more visible. But hey, if it's a custom, you may as well go all out.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

From what I have heard figured maple tops on a G&L adds to the build time , maybe 5 to 6 months till you get the bass.

5. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    In general, probably 90% of what I order from G&L comes in within 6-8 weeks. However, instruments with figured maple tops almost always take quite a bit longer, usually 5-6 months. It has something to do with availability of useable figured maple.

6. Yep, my figured top L2500 took 6 months, well worth the wait however

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wow, thanks everyone for the pics and your input!

That Redburst at Buffalo Brothers is beautifull!! I was wondering what it would look like with a maple board. Very nice, as I suspected. I could probably be content with that one.

I'm going to get a few quotes though and see. I don't know if I can wait 6+ months.

8. If I was in the market for a custom ordered G&L, I'd buy it from flash99 without hesitation. He knows his stuff.

9. MAJOR METAL

If you go custom make sure you request they burst the back of the bass as well.

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm seriously considering that redburst from buffalo bros. Might throw some $ down today. What do you guys think?

I need some support here. I'd love the custom I described, but the idea of waiting 5-6 months is a big deterrent to me right now. Plus that bass is beautifull, and kinda close to what i described. I'm really diggin' the maple fretboard with that finish too.

I already have 1 L-2000, do I really need another one? (stupid question...i know ;))

11. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You're asking this of the most hard-core gear proliferation enablers on the planet? ;) Of course you should go for it, unless of course something else might fill a gap in the arsenal more effectively. With Buffalo Bros.'s 100% upgrade policy, your risk is really low. In fact, you could buy that one, and if you want a custom later, you could trade it in toward the custom. Check out their policy -- it's ideal for something like this.

12. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Hey! Go for it! ;) BUT, FWIW, G&L doesn't do birdseye bass necks any more. Only fretboards.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    That's the kinda positive reinforcement I need!!:bassist:
    That is a fantastic policy! I almost can't afford not to buy it huh?

Now, would you mind explaining that to my fiancee? ;)

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'd say "This is a custom bass, only one exactly like it in the world! There ARE however other fiancees......"

15. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've been very happily married for 11 years, but even so -- go for it while she's still your fiancee! :D

Then, in a little while, we'll begin working on advanced gear acquisition and rationalization techniques for married life. We should have an entire thread (dare I say forum?) about this, but some techniques are:

1. The euphemism. Example: The $240 set of Lindy Fralin Split Jazz pickups arrives. She: "What's that." Me: "Just some parts for my bass." Notice that I was truthful, but avoided serious inquiry about expense, necessity, etc.

But you can't strain credibility too much. For example, I've never explained an amp as "just something that makes my bass a little louder," because she might catch on.

2. Concealment, or at least camoflage. We know that companions can be sensitive about all the gear, but if it's out of sight, it seems to bother them less. Example: The band dissolves, and the Goliath III needs to move back into the house. She: "Where's that thing going to go. It's big and ugly." Me: "Hey, why don't we cover it with a pretty tablecloth or blanket, maybe that one your grandmother gave us, and use it as an end table in the living room?" She: "Okay. That's a great idea." I've never heard about it since, and the kids love sitting on it to watch T.V.

3. Laying the groundwork. I can't remember doing this with musical gear, but it's come in handy other times. Example: You walk by a music store, and see a nice Ampeg combo in the window. You: "Wow, I'd really love to have an amp like that for smaller gigs. That could be really useful." She: "Well, if you'll really use it, we could start saving, and maybe get it soon." You: "Thanks, sweetie. You're the best. You know, on second thought I think my tone might improve a little more with a Sadowsky."

Note how you've laid the groundwork for the Ampeg, but also planted the seed for something even more desirable down the road. Always leverage any gear discussion in this way, to reduce the shock effect when it inevitably arrives: "I thought we talked about the Sadowsky, you know, last year when we walked by Sam Ash and saw that Ampeg. Remember?"

16. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    I just saw this at the G&L site:

March 15, 2006: Bird's eye maple is not being offered at this time. We expect to resume offering bird's eye maple in Fall 2006.

Bird's Eye Maple necks for guitars only

Bird's Eye Maple fingerboard for basses

Dang! Even longer wait for birdseye!

17. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    there is a redburst G&L L2000 at the guitar den in orlando, redburst, with matching headstock, maple board. www.gui****en.com

18. MAJOR METAL

19. It's beautiful, but I wouldn't pay 1200 for a used G&L. I love them (look at my signature), but even mint, the top for this on the resale market should be around 900 bucks.

Just FYI.

Jay

20. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I have a new redburst/maple coming in next week if you're interested.