1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Gauges harder to tune?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Akerfeldt, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Akerfeldt

Akerfeldt

Feb 9, 2008
    Just a simple question, are Custom Gauges harder to tune? I recently bought a new set of 'ErnieBall Regular Slinky Bass Custom Gauge' strings, and I just got them tuned finally(using both the 5th-Fret Method & Harmonics) and it took me a good 30 minutes. It might be my lack of experience, but it seems as though they took longer to tune than the stock strings that came with my bass.

FYI, my strings are..."50,70,85,105".

2. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    All new strings need to stretch out before they can stay in tune. The stocks strings were already stretched out when you bought the bass.

3. Akerfeldt

Akerfeldt

Feb 9, 2008
    Ah!

Yeah that would probably be the problem. What the hell was I thinking when I made this thread.

4. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    No problem, and you can help the process along by yanking on the string and running your hand up and down the neck right after you put the strings on.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I would not do this. I find my strings tune up fine without doing this, taking at most an hour to get into "used" mode, and i don't see the point in stressing my strings out beyond what they would normally experience.