Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Gibson SG 6'er?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    I was talking to a friend who claims that thier father owns a SG 6'er from 20+ years ago. Now they might just be pulling my leg, but I think that they are telling the truth....if any of you feel obligated to disprove this seemingly outlandish claim by all means. Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? I assume that it would have to come out of thier custom shop, and if this bass is real, what kind of price range would we be looking at?

All the bass.

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    It's probably a six-string bass a la the Fender Bass VI - around 30" scale neck, tuned an octave below a regular guitar. I know I've seen a picture somewhere, maybe in "The Bass Book" by Tony Bacon??? Can't remember, never actually seen one...
    :confused:

3. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Tell your friend his dads 6 string SG is actually a guitar lol. :D

Only kiddin, my guess is that its the Fender VI, although i've never seen a Gibson version. :confused:

4. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Yeah I have been pretty warry of this instrument. I am going to talk to my friend's dad sometime soon and clear all this up. Maybe even get a pic.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Gibson did make an EB-6 bass in the 1960s, although for some reason they used this model number both for an SG shaped bass and a hollow 335/EB-2 style :confused:

Both had one humbucking pickup, volume and tone controls. They were meant to be tuned EADGBE like the Fender and Danelectro six strings.

They are quite rare and worth a considerable amount of $$$$ to collectors.

6. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    How much do you think that one of these EB 6ers could go for. My friends father bought it when he was 20 so it's feasible that he may have bought one. I will try to get some more information about this mysterious instrument.

7. Damn, beat me to it!

I've played the SG style, and seen the semi-hollow one, they did nothing for me- but then again 6 string bass does nothing for me.

By the way this is very early 60's and LONG before the advent of the Custom Shop.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  9. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Getting slightly off topic here: is the Fender VI "really" a bass?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

IMHO, yes, it is. The four lowest strings are tuned to the same pitch as the strings on a regular four string bass.

11. i second that embellisher. if its tuned the same as a bass (in the same register) then its a bass, it just has tight spacing and short scale.

hey quizzo, you wouldnt happen to go the govs school for the arts would you? either way, its cool to see another south carolinian around here :)

12. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I have owned 2 of the SG style Gibson EB6 basses in the past.

One was a single pickup , one was a 2 pickup model with a 4 position switch , a la the EB3 bass.
    I was stujpid to let this mint baby go - come back,
    SN 84318 !!

I believe a realistic price for a single pickup SG style EB6 is
    between $2K - $3K, depending on condition and demand.
    Maybe $3,500 - $4,000 if 2 pickups and mint, like #84318.

A 335 style might be $2,500 - $4,000.

13. There is one in the Rick Nielsen guitars book..... naturally"

14. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    fwiw, guitarist Steve Howe (from Yes) played all the bass tracks on his 1979 solo album (unimaginitively titled The Steve Howe Album) on an SG-styled Gibson EB-6.

15. If I remember correctly there was an article in Guitar Player magazine several years back on the Gibson EB-6 SG style bass. I think they made 135 of them total. So Yeah they do exist, but you have already seen pictures in earlier posts. That's a cool find.

16. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    none that I've seen, either on ebay or listed by a dealer in Vintage Guitar, were priced in that range. always closer to what Brian posted.

Here's one for a mere $12,500!!!
    http://gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_pic...?guitar=492893

Here's a hollow body model, only $10,000
    http://gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_pic...?guitar=524827

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    IIRC George Benson's went for well over 10 grand on Ebay....