Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom / Individual Bass Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therealting, May 5, 2004.

1. First post!

I am looking for some bridges for 8-string bass (the kind with 8-individual strings, rather than 4 pairs).

I ordered some individual bridges, but the spacing is too wide - I need the spacing to be 3 7/8" - 4". Does anyone know of any such bridges?

Alternatively, if anywhere actually sells an 8-string bridge, or can make one for a reasonable price, I'd be interested to hear about it!

Thanks!

Johann
    --
    life, photography & music
    http://www.therealting.com

2. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    That's narrow!!!

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You can check out Hipshot (hipshot.com)they have made me bridges for 8 and 9 string Basses.or you can try ABM Bridges(check out allparts.com)

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    ABM is the way to go.....

5. Thanks guys! I've had a look at Hipshot's and ABM's websites, but they don't have any 8-string bridges listed (unless I completely missed them). Do I have to contact them to get something custom-machined?

Jazzguy - I am looking for a narrow spacing to make chording easier on the higher frets. I have my 6-string (Yamaha TRB6) for the wider, slap-friendly feel at standard gigs!

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, talk to Jason at hipshotproducts.com, he's made several custom bridges for me and they've all been great.

7. Thanks nonsqtr - I'll pop them an email. What are the prices like on those?

Johann
    --
    life, photography & music
    http://www.therealting.com

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You may be able to find one of those older Wilkinson bridges that Roscoe and Carvin used to use. You can adjust the spacing to your specs, so you'd just need to see if the base plate is wide enough.

9. Not familiar with any of the Wilkinson bridges, but I will do some googling and see what I find. Thanks for the tip!

10. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I am talking about these;

[​IMG]

You can set your own string spacing - they work best for me as I set my bridges equi-distant as opposed to center-to-center.....

As many strings as neck and body will allow!

11. Knucklehead - I actually bought some of those exact same ones, but they were too wide! :)

12. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    About the only other thing I can suggest is the old Kahler setup. I think you might be able to get 8 on the bridge plate for that assembly - but you would need to acquire a couple of them to get your string count.

I know no other solution that would be closer together.

13. Great minds think alike - that is in fact exactly what I ordered just this afternoon. I got two 5-string units since they are cheaper than the 6s. I will need to butcher them though, as the bridge plate is not wide enough to accommodate all 8 saddles, but I worked out the saddle widths and I should be fine. Hopefully it'll all work out!

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You can also check out the Dingwall individual bridges.