Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Inlays! Parade them with Pride!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Lets see some custom inlays people :)

Also, how much extra did they cost and are there any cool celebs that have some decent inlays?

Also, where to get custom inlays?

But most important of all, SHOW YOUR PICS!!!!

2. Custom inlay = Free.

3. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    That is sweet.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    heres some seruious inlays- these are on a friend's Warrior - don't think he'd mind sharing..
    [​IMG]

5. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Gorgeous!!! More!!!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    John DiMaggio at Bass Alone in San Diego does very fine inlay work. Here's his abalone inlays on the headstock of my Roscoe 7:

[​IMG]

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Being a born & bred-St. Louis boy, I decided to get fleur-de-lis inlays. The fleur-de-lis is the traditional symbol of French royalty and shows up on the statues/paintings of the king, St. Louis, throughout the city.

I selected paua Ablam for its myriad of colors....a sample -

[​IMG]

Although Dave Pushic's photos don't display the colors much at all, (hell, give him a break - he doesn't make a living by being a photographer after all), here pics of how the shaped fleur-de-lis inlays turned out (I don't like gaudy inlay like "Tree of Life" stuff that takes up most of the area and where the qualities of the fretboard wood can't be heard) -

[​IMG]

I also got one on the headstock and upper horn (no, the lawn sprinkler/garden hose is not something I spec'd to keep my fretboard cooled off) -

[​IMG]

A laser router had to be used for the fretboard inlay cavities -
    [​IMG]

The only pic I have of the headstock inlay is from when the headstock was still pretty rough, so it wouldn't be right to show a pic of it right now. All of these pics are months old.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Here is one of two of the six inlays on my conklin. I like 'em.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

And the second...

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    basssaxdude

is that also John DiMaggio's work?

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ahem, it's BassSaxMAN :D ;)

Anyway yes that is john dimaggio's work. There are four other inlays on it but I do not have pictures of them. It was actually his personal bass until he sold it to me and he gives me a hard time from time to time about me buying it (but it was his choice to sell it! I have to make sure to remind him). He's a cool guy and his store is great. If you are ever in the area make sure you check it out.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I remember that bass. A Korean Dickens that he went crazy with inlays on. Nice. I liked the slimness of the neck. Glad it found a home.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Be careful - at the ripe old age of 22 you border on being BassSaxBOY :D

Mike

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I may not be old, but I certainly am not young especially in the mental category. I have a lot of experience, knowledge and wisdom under this belt. :)

Also, yes the bass is a dickens model but it has many upgrades aside from the inlays. Its a great bass. That with my BN5 = great choices for playing.

16. This isn't my bass...I wish.

Tom Araya (Slayer) Signature ESP bass. Retail - $3,499.

[​IMG]

17. Haha.

Dude. It's not a bass. It's not even an inlay. :D

Cool as heck though!

18. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    See? It is an inlay. The key words in the quote above being inlay. See? :)