Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom J Bass control plate...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by asnutter, Mar 13, 2006.

1. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I am really glad to see a thread on this product. I have seen this also and have been very curious about it.

It LOOKS like something that would be very useful and it also appears to be very well made!

Anyone who has bought it, please chime in!

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I stumbled across that a couple of days ago. That's a pretty cool idea, selling pre-made drop-in control plates. Especially for $75......Not a bad markup, really. All those parts cost probably less than $25 or so, even less if he buys in bulk....

hmm....I might have to tweak up my soldering skills and try my hand at this....:ninja:

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think I'd rather have a push-pull pot that the mini-toggle....

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Agreed, he's making a nice markup on that. $20.00 in parts and 15 minutes with a soldering iron.

I did a few stack knob plates a while back for some customers and they sold for under $50.00. I guess I need to charge more!! :D

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I wonder how many he actually sells, though. Are people actually willing to pay $75 for a control plate? Seems a bit steep to me. If I was doing that, I'd charge 200% or so of the total price of parts.

7. wow... twist together connections... is it just me or does it sound like this isnt really a good idea. mabey its just me cause soldering is something i grew up with(elctrician as a dad)

8. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    Well, according to his feedback, it looks like he's sold at least 24 since Dec. 14th - all with positive feedback. Can't knock his marketing idea. Judging by all the J bass wiring threads in this forum, I guess people are willing to pay to have it done for them. Hell, I was looking at this same auction myself, last night.