1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Custom Jazz Bass in Aged Surf Green (Nitro) w/ Fender Flea neck & Hard Case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Jan 12, 2018.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $1150
    Strings:
    748FD6E4-9FE8-4334-967F-608FE348D86E.

Custom-Built Jazz Bass in Aged Surf Green (Nitro) w/ Fender Flea Neck

I just finished building this killer playing and sounding Jazz. All of the hardware and (nitro) finish has been aged with med/light relicing, and I removed the finish along the entire playing part of the back of the neck and then applied several coats of mineral oil to the wood - not only to protect it, but also to simulate the feel of a well-worn vintage neck (that plays smooth and fast, with no stickiness). The end result looks and feels fantastic. Here are all the specs...

• Body: Hand-selected, very lightweight alder Wildwood USA, finished (w/ light-med relic) in aged nitrocellulose Surf Green by Mark Jenny of MJT Guitars.
    • Neck: Fender Flea Signature neck (nitro finish w/ hand-rubbed oil finish on back) w/ factory aged reverse-wind Fender reissue tuners & string tree
    • Pickups: (Aged) Fender American “Pure Vintage” ‘64 Jazz Bass P/Us w/ brass ground plates
    • Electronics: USA CTS 250K (450G Series) pots w/ .047uf Orange Drop cap, all cloth insulated wiring & brass control cavity ground plate
    • Hardware: Aged USA reissue Fender “Pure Vintage” knobs (with slotted-head set screws), Fender Road Worn neckplate, Relic Genuine Fender USA reissue threaded saddle bridge, tugbar
    • Pickguard: Fender 3-ply mint w/ aged nickel screws
    • Strings: Brand New Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (not pictured)
    This neck is arrow straight, the truss rod works great, and the action is set up is wonderfully - VERY low and plays beautifully all across the board with no buzzing or dead notes anywhere. I personally dressed all the the frets ends (top and bottom), so they’re nice and smooth to the touch with zero fret sprout anywhere. This bass is completely dialed in for both playability and tone. You won’t find a better playing Jazz Bass hanging on the wall at a guitar store.

One thing I chose to do differently with this bass is go with ‘70s pickup spacing... to give it a bit more growl, and also to set it apart from all the average ‘60s style reissue Jazz Basses out there. And I’m glad I did - With the combo of ‘70s P/U spacing and the American ‘64 reissue pickups (IMO the best reissue pickups Fender has ever made) it’s one of the best sounding basses I’ve ever built. I’ve never played the bass out, I just finished setting it up and it’s ready to rock!

While it’s true you could buy a new Flea signature Jazz for not much more, keep in mind that this bass is custom built with pro fretwork, and attention to details that factory mass produced basses just don’t get. And it’s finished in a much more unique color and doesn’t look like the thousands of other Flea and Road Worn Jazzes out there (not to mention, it’s still a brand new bass). It’s
    also VERY lightweight at only 8 lbs. 4 oz.! It’ll ship in a nice, new padded Fender gig bag... or I'll upgrade it to a very nice quality black tolex hard case for no extra charge!

$1150 Shipped (USA)
    Paypal & USPS Money Orders Accepted.

*Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    copacetic, oranje, Koog and 16 others like this.
  2. InsideTrip

InsideTrip Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Venice, CA
    Looks great, well done.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Amazing looking bass. Mr. Jenny is one of the best in the business.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Nice job!! I did something very similar with my flea neck and a MJT body.

5. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Nice job Brian, love the color. John

6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Where in California are you?

7. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Redlands

8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool bass.

What kind of oil did you use on the back of the neck?

9. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I applied several thin coats of mineral oil, which I think simulates the feel of a worn in vintage neck better than tru oil, tung oil and most of the other oils out there that people tend to use on guitars. Those oils are more like actual finishes IME, and I wanted this neck to feel more like the finish has been worn down over the years. The mineral oil goes on clear and I just wanted something that would be more of a protectant to seal the pores in the wood, more than a finish. I’ve done it on a few of my other basses and always been happy with the result. Re-applying a couple times a year doesn’t hurt either.

Lbsterner, woodyng2 and Kmrumedy like this.
  10. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Yet another awesome "creation" from a great guy to deal with!

GLWTS

11. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Really digging this!

R&B and The Bass Clef like this.
  12. troubledog

troubledog

Aug 30, 2009
    Houston
    Sweet!

13. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Just wanted to pop in and say this bass looks awesome GLWYS

14. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    man that's tempting ! probably be hard to finder a lighter Jazz than that ??

15. limmlimm

limmlimm Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nags Head
    How its the balance with the lightweight body? Is it neck heavy?

16. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Not at all. It balances very nicely.

17. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Beautiful bass ya got there. What tuners did you use? Or were they from the flea neck?

18. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thank you! Yes, the tuners are the factory-aged, reverse wind Fender tuners that came with the Flea neck.

19. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Very nice instrument!!

20. copacetic

copacetic

May 23, 2007
    Is this bass still up for sale? thanks