1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Custom Jazz Bass in Aged Surf Green (Nitro) w/ Fender Flea neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Jan 12, 2018.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef Formerly "thebrian" Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    California
    Price:
    $1195
    Strings:
    748FD6E4-9FE8-4334-967F-608FE348D86E.

Custom-Built Jazz Bass in Aged Surf Green (Nitro) w/ Fender Flea Neck

I just finished building this killer playing and sounding Jazz. All of the hardware and (nitro) finish has been aged with med/light relicing, and I removed the finish along the entire playing part of the back of the neck and then applied several coats of oil finish to the wood - not only to protect it, but also to simulate the feel of a well-worn vintage neck (that plays smooth and fast, with no stickiness). The end result looks and feels fantastic. Here are all the specs...

• Body: Hand-selected, very lightweight alder Wildwood USA, finished (w/ light-med relic) in aged nitrocellulose Surf Green by Mark Jenny of MJT Guitars.
    • Neck: Fender Flea Signature neck (nitro finish w/ hand-rubbed oil finish on back) w/ factory aged reverse-wind Fender reissue tuners & string tree
    • Pickups: (Aged) American “Pure Vintage” ‘64 Jazz Bass P/Us w/ brass ground plates
    • Electronics: USA CTS 250K (450G Series) pots w/ .047uf Orange Drop cap, all cloth insulated wiring & brass control cavity ground plate
    • Hardware: Aged USA reissue Fender “Pure Vintage” knobs (with slotted-head set screws), Fender Road Worn neckplate, Relic Genuine Fender USA reissue threaded saddle bridge, tugbar
    • Pickguard: Fender USA ‘62 AVRI 3-ply mint pickguard & all aged nickel screws
    • Strings: Brand new Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds (JF344)
    This neck is arrow straight, the truss rod works great, and the action is set up is wonderfully - VERY low and plays beautifully all across the board with no buzzing or dead notes anywhere. This bass is dialed in to my personal standards for both playability and tone. I think you would be very hard-pressed to find a better playing Jazz Bass hanging on the wall at a guitar store. On a side note... There’s been talk here on TB of some Flea necks coming out of the factory recently with some issues, but not this one, it’s a great neck in every way.

One thing I chose to do differently with this bass is go with ‘70s pickup spacing... to give it a bit more growl, and also to set it apart from all the average ‘60s style reissue Jazz Basses out there. And I’m glad I did - With the combo of ‘70s P/U spacing and the American ‘64 reissue pickups (IMO the best reissue pickups Fender has ever made) it’s one of the best sounding basses I’ve ever built. I’m selling it because these days I purposely build basses in colors I already own to prevent myself from wanting to keep them all (and it’s still tempting for me to keep this one). I’ve never played the bass out, I just finished building it and setting it up with a brand new set of TIs ($80 strings) and it’s ready to rock!

Yes, you could go out and buy a new Flea signature Jazz for a little more money, but keep in mind that this bass is custom built with attention to details that factory mass produced basses don’t get. It’s also finished in a much more unique color and doesn’t look like the thousands of other Flea and Road Worn Jazzes out there (not to mention, it’s still a brand new bass).
    And to top it off, it’s also very lightweight at only 8 lbs. 4 oz.! It’ll ship in a nice, new padded Fender gig bag... or you can upgrade to a very good quality black tolex hard case for an additional $85.

$1195 Shipped (USA)
    Paypal & USPS Money Orders Accepted.

*Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 12:20 PM
  2. InsideTrip

InsideTrip Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Venice, CA
    Looks great, well done.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Amazing looking bass. Mr. Jenny is one of the best in the business.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Nice job!! I did something very similar with my flea neck and a MJT body.

5. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Nice job Brian, love the color. John

6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    Where in California are you?

7. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    California
    Redlands

8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool bass.

What kind of oil did you use on the back of the neck?

9. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    California
    I applied several thin coats of mineral oil, which I think simulates the feel of a worn in vintage neck better than tru oil, tung oil and most of the other oils out there that people tend to use on guitars. Those oils are more like actual finishes IME, and I wanted this neck to feel more like the finish has been worn down over the years. The mineral oil goes on clear and I just wanted something that would be more of a protectant to seal the pores in the wood, more than a finish. I’ve done it on a few of my other basses and always been happy with the result. Re-applying a couple times a year doesn’t hurt either.

Kmrumedy likes this.