Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"custom jazz bass" is actually a Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 3, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just got back from this local store, and I saw a very interesting bass there. Upon first appearence, It looked to be a 70's custom Femder Jazz. But upon closer look, I was fooled no more. It was a Mark Hoppus P-bass, with a custom control plate, 70's Jazz neck with inlays and matching headstock, and some sort of aftermarket Fender decal. The bridge had been replaced with a BA II and the pickup was changed, but I don't know what brand. The price was $750. I really wanted to open my mouth about it, but I just couldn't do it. Should I try to talk him down on it?

2. that made my day. someone customized a hoppus.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or it could be a real Mark Hoppus custom.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, I think a J body and neck with a P pickup makes a *lot* of sense!

5. Really? i think it makes no sense at all..but then again i think a kubicki bridge, neck, preamp and pups on a jazz body makes sense :p

BTW...Its been done :p

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Huh? :confused:

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

IMO, I don't like the way a P p/u looks on a J body but I think it's a cool idea especially if someone likes the feel of a J neck & body as opposed to a P neck & body but wants a P sound.

:bassist:

7. i like jazz bodys and sound..but prefer a precision neck...better still..a kubicki or musicman neck

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Quite serious - in fact, I'm planning a custom like this right now. I've learned to really like the J body, I much prefer 1.5" nuts, and don't care for J pickups after a few years of owning one. I'm a single humbucker kinda guy!

9. hallehluya (i cant spell :crying: ) im a single humbucker fan too :looks at the space where a mm stingray shold be: and now im a two humbucker fan :looks at kubicki: :D ...im also a fan of 3 humbucker :looks at a pic of one of bootsy's space basses:

10. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
  11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Don't you mean "Hoppi"?

12. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Hey, if the Hoppus had a tone knob, I'd go for it. Jazz body with P neck and p pickups? Sounds good on paper...it's amazing how Hoppus managed to screw it up.

The finishes it comes in aren't bad either.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No, its amazing how Mark Hoppus screwed it up. He's the numb nuts that designed the thing.

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You're right, my bad. It's fixed.

15. unless you looked on the neckplate to confirm that it was a hoppus, it probably really is a custom jazz bass.

16. its amazing they managed to screw up the kubicki's too....but they did it...with a passion i bet

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yes, the neckplate said Mark Hoppus. Even without looking at the plate, I could tell it was a Mark Hoppus bass. The surf green body, the single p pickup, the string thru body.