Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Jazz Bass. Opinions Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Jul 23, 2002.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I've spent the last few months selecting the parts and such for a custom Jazz Bass and have hit a wall because I cannot decide on which look to go with. There are two looks I would want. Both would include the John East Marcus Miller Preamp I have, Fender Custom J Pickups and a Maple neck with maple fretboard. I definitely want an Ash body. Here's the thing: I'm not sure whether to finish it Vintage White and add a Red tortoiseshell pickguard, or have it clear finished and have no pickguard or clear w/pickguard???

Wondering what others opinions are. I love the look of both but would love to hear what you think. It would make me feel better about the decision.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What color are you pickups? And if you go without the pickguard, are you still gonna have the chrome control plate, or will the controls be rear-mounted?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I really dig the clear ash with black pickguard.

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    The Pickups are Black and the Preamp comes on a Black Control Plate that looks silmilar to the Marcus Miller bass. The plate is for top rout. The knobs on the plate are chrome.

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Anyone else have anything to chime in? Thanks.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    bassable,

What you have looks like this correct?

[​IMG]

I think you got the custom Marcus Miller U-Retro Deluxe model that I made for a client who later sold it on eBay correct? We've only made 4 or 5 in this style on a custom order basis as direct retrofit into Fender Marcus Miller Signature basses.

It's up to you what you do with the look of the bass but to my personal taste I think you'd have to go with a matching black/white/black pickguard otherwise you'd have this big piece of black control plate hanging on the bottom of the body.

Now here's a bit of news that should expand your options quite a bit (hehe...I'm evil).

That black control plate your preamp is mounted on was custom made for me by Roger at Jeannie Pickguards and he has the template in his shop so he could make you one in any pickguard material you wanted (tortoise, white, mirrored.....you name it!) He could also make you a pickguard to match so your possibilities are only limited to Roger's material stock which is virtually endless. The preamp could easily be removed from that black control plate and mounted in a new one in the color of your choice so you're not stuck with black if you don't want to be. That's the good news.

Jeannie Pickguard's Website

The bad news is that these MM Sig units are custom made with short pot shafts so you wouldn't be able to use this preamp for a rear routed body because the shafts aren't long enough to come up through a rear routed bass body top and leave enough shaft sticking out to mount the knobs on.

A third option would be to order a J-Retro Deluxe control plate from me (available in chrome, black or gold) that would give you a more traditional Jazz bass control plate that would look like this.

[​IMG]

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: Here's a photo you might get a kick out of. I remember making your exact unit because I was remodeling my workshop so I made yours on my pool table!

[​IMG]

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    After reading Dude's posts I have to say I would go for the traditional J bass chrome control plate, that is unless it's too late.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I kinda like the black control plate with matching black pickguard on the natural ash body.

10. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Dude,

Yep, that's the one. It looks killer on the plate and now I might have another custom plate built, but I do like the black. I prefer the jack plug on the front of the bass, otherwise I would go with the J-Retro Deluxe plate. I was thinking of just having a big control plate and no pickguard, but would add one if it looked to plain.

Now that my options are unlimited I'm going to be even more torn about what I want.

I'm proud to have had mine built on your pool table and thank you for the time you put into building this piece. When I get to hear it, I will post a review at the Dudepit! Lastly, that bass in the background (which only the neck is really visible) looks like it might rock. I say might only because I have not seen the whole thing. I'm pretty sure it has a nice preamp in there so...nevermind...it rocks.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Dude had a shot of him licking your Retro....he licks everything he can get his tongue on..... ;)

Perhaps :p would have been more appropriate. :D

12. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm not so sure I'd want to see a shot of Dude licking my preamp, but if it sounds good then I have no problem with it. Why does he lick everything?

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Because he is the Dude. That's all the reason he needs.

[​IMG]

14. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Isn't that just a little dangerous?

15. Dude is a dangerous sorta guy. He lives life on the edge.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm actually more afraid for the salmon.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The subtle undertones of that picture are cracking me up.

18. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Hilariously True

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...the really funny part is that I ate a burger that party yet there was no salmon leftover...LOL!

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Lull's with LED's are my favorite!!

[​IMG]