Custom Jazz Bass Project - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillCO, Aug 9, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I like high-end basses and am definitely on an endless quest for killer tone - but, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to carry a museum piece on stage. I'd prefer to have a nice J-bass, or at least something with a reasonably traditional shape, but that is a superb, special instrument with a one-of-a-kind tone.

I suppose I could just buy a Sadowsky, a Lakland USA Bob Glaub, or the like, but a) the thought of a custom instrument appeals to me, and b) I've been GASsing for a Status or a Modulus for a long time, and I'd like to put a graphite neck on my bass to give me the punchy, funky graphite sound.

So here is what I'm thinking:

- A Warmoth Dinky-J body, maybe with a walnut laminate top, maybe not, but definitely with a red dye transparent finish and a black pickguard
    - A Status neck
    - Hipshot Ultralite tuners with an extender on the E
    - A Gotoh 206 bridge
    - Nordstrand Big Singles pickups
    - Either a J-Retro or an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

...with all the hardware in black. I can't do much of the work myself, so assuming about $500 to $700 in build and setup charges from a luthier, I could do this for about $2500. It definitely puts the bass in a price range where I'd have a lot of other choices, but as I said, the thought of having a one-of-a-kind instrument is attractive.

I'm not entirely convinced about the bridge though. Can anyone recommend a good alternative, and do you think this bass would sound good in general?
  2. My Warmoth has a Gotoh 206 bridge and I really like it. I don't use the string-through option though. If you want something lighter, I would look into a Hipshot. Good luck!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Talk to Nino Valenti or go to to check out what he can do, and it's going to be a phenominal bass for a little over half of what you're expecting.
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I agree with tplyons, Nino makes a killer bass. Although I don't think he does anything with graphite necks, I'm sure you could go with a moses graphite neck if you don't mind spending the money on one.

Valenti's website

Good luck with your bass.
  5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 for Valenti I'm sure he'd be willing to get a graphite neck for you. I doubt it would have the sweet Valenti headstock though :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member