Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avs, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Avs

Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Does anyone know who is specialized in making bolt-on Jazz basses in a price range like DP's (Dave Pushic)? I know there're many good luthiers like Sadowsky and Lull... but their prices are far out of reach for me at this moment.

Thanks for any input:)

2. buy a Fender J-bass, and do the customising yourself :)

i'm doing my own customising of a J-bass too :)

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had a local shop "Pink Guitarz" in Centreville, VA (not in business anymore unfortunately) do a custom for me. It was built around a Lasido neck that I got for $25 from the back of a big shop where it had been sitting behind the counter for at least 3 years, long after they stopped selling parts.

With the neck (a very nice v-shaped Jazz style maple neck with ebony fingerboard) as a starting point, I had a custom bass built to my specs. We used a Warmoth body with a quilt maple top. Wilkins did the paint job (the single biggest ticket item - the Wilkins shop does Sadowsky, Mike Lull, and other high end stuff). The hardware is good solid Schaller stuff. Electronics are passive because that's what I like (hey it's a custom!), but the body cavity has enough room to add an active EQ if I want it. The pickups are Bartolini single coil passive units that I got for about $120 for the matched pair at the same local shop that gave me the neck.

There is a huge picture of the bass here if you care to look. It is incredibly beautiful.

I'm happy with the bass, but I wouldn't do it again. My total price was about $1300, maybe more, after everything, and the bass is not really a better playing or sounding instrument than a $1000 list US Fender passive. It's no better than my 5 string Jazz V. Sure it looks better, it definitely turns head, the thing's freeking GOREGEOUS! But it was not worth the money.

If you want a custom make sure you know EXACTLY what you like before you get it. (In my case I love the look of the maple top, but it makes the bass too bright for my tastes (especially with the ebony fingerboard). Every little thing you do is going to make an impact on the sound and playability of the bass. Make sure you know all about bass design before starting down that path.

That's my advice, be sure to take it with a grain of salt.:)