Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Jazz In Plans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 8, 2006.

1. :hyper: ...well after a certain TB member saw my "battle of the jazz's" thread, he offered his service to build me a jazz bass to my specifications...in other words, custom:hyper: :D ....and within my price range too:D ...heres what ive settled on.....for now:D

Jazz bass
    Ash Body with a Victorian Blackwood Top natural gloss finish
    http://www.maton.com.au/timbers/blackwood.asp
    Single coils, 2x, passive
    Maple Neck and Fingerboard
    White/pearl neck binding and block inlays
    im thinking rear routed controls to show off more of the top
    22 frets, 34"
    neck shape and fingerboard radius to be the same as a 70's fender jazz with a satin finish

thanks again phil mailloux :D ....a few months down the track, but i cant wait

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like its going to be a great bass, congrats! Have you decided yet what electronics your going to go with? Me personally id go with Nordstrand pups with a Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp, mmmmmmmm. And hardware also? I wanna know all the specs of this baby!

3. phils gonna make the pickups himself...its going to be passive, but if i find that it doesnt cut it down the track it may have a bartolini pre installed....hardware i havent really decided on yet..most likely a badass 2 and hipshot tuners
    [​IMG]
    these tiger wood knobs look cool
    [​IMG]
    and dunlop flush mount strap locks will look cool......its gonna be a mix of a victor bailey style body with a marcus miller neck...but blackwood looks better:D

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Woo, passive!

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    sounds rad man!

where is phil based?

6. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Great choice with the BAII and the Hipshot's. Can't wait to see what this looks like in the end.

7. I have honestly never seen a Blackwood top before, but damn, I'm sure that beast is going to look killer!

If you want to show off the top, but still have the functionality of a control plate and or pickguard, you could probably go with a clear acrylic type material.

-ryan-

8. blackwood is an australian tone wood...see some maton guitars...im most likely going to go rear routed and mount the controls on the top...phils in brisbane

9. Really, where abouts? Does he have a website?

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    His designs look very Skjold-like. I hope he didn't rip off of Pete Skjold's design.

11. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses

I had no idea who Pete Skjold was before I started looking up TB's luthiers websites a couple of months ago. He makes incredibly nice instruments but these designs have been done so much over the years by so many luthiers than at some point it's almost impossible to come up with a standard "two horned" bass design that doesn't look like someone else's design.

I tried designing a single-cut bass recently but trashed all my plans. Whatever I came up with always looked like something that benavente, fodera or dozens of others have already made. It ain't easy designing something new that appeals to you and will appeal to a lot of people.

Anyway for this bass it looks like I'll have to rip off Leo Fender's design :D

12. Phil -
    from reading the spec list, i think it will look great.
    Of course --you can always put your own little "spin" on the old Jazz style body, make something old- look new so to speak
    [​IMG]
    frank

13. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Fanned fret J, huh?

Interesting. Thats a Dingwall isn't it?

I'm sure we'll make that jazz come out quite nicely too. We've been PM'ing quite a bit and have a few nice ideas for it.

14. Yup....Dingwall SuperJs (actually this is the prototype, his production versions look different)

Please keep us updated it wil be interesting to see the development

15. uhhhhh....no

i think its gonna have an interesting spin on it as it is, i mean, its a victor bailey meets marcus miller in australia :D

update:
    leftover wood scraps (ash) are going to be used to make pickup covers and control knobs :hyper:

16. Thats going to be killer, Heath!

17. Update:
    Ash Body
    Purpleheart Veneer (maybe)
    Blackwood Top
    Hipshot Ultra-lites
    Badass II
    Birdseye Maple Neck/FB
    White Binding, Mother Of Pearl Block Inlays
    22 fret, 34"
    Gloss Body, Satin Neck
    Wood (Ash) Pickup Covers and Control Knobs
    Still Passive and 4 String

Yay :hyper: *opens new bank account*

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Heath! Dude! It's about damn time you got yourself a fine bass!! I'm WAY excited. Lurrrrve the 70's jazz.

19. whats wrong with the ksd huh:meh:

it'll just be a huuuuuugggeee toss up on wether to use the 4 or the 5 at gigs:D