Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Knobs for my Ken Lawrence???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Ok, I've been thinking about getting some nice wooden knobs for my Ken Lawrence bass, but I'm having a tough time deciding if I'd really like them or not. I look at other high end basses, like Nordstrand for example, and the wooden knobs look great and add a nice, professional touch. But then again, I do like how the shiny black knobs on it now look.

[​IMG]

So I know it's all up to me in the end, but I'd like to hear what your opinions are. Which would you prefer?

Thanks

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    On the right bass, I think the wooden knobs add a nice touch, and I think on your bass, a set of knobs would look nice.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 Maybe something with a lighter constrasting top -- same wood as that centre block, maybe? The matching method looks good too, but the contrast would look much better on that bass, IMO.

4. I do think that wooden knobs are a great accent to a bass made with nice, exposed woods. Knobs that match the bridge are nice as well (as you already have).

I'd want to either match the to the top or match to the fretboard. In all honesty it will probably be easier to match to the fretboard since maple is less variable in colour than cocobolo(?) tends to be.