Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Lemmified P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The 0x, May 15, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    After looking at this thread, and seeing a picture of a real one, does anybody know if this one actually exists, who owns it, and who made it?
    [​IMG]

Also, how much would it cost to have a luthier custom make it, minus the ornate upper horn, and also minus a string, ;) with a standard fender-style bridge? If that controlplate is aluminum or some kind of metal, that'd be cool. I also love the chickenhead knobs. Btw, i'd want it to be PASSIVE. Hell, i'd rather really only have the body with the neck pocket built to fender spec, so I can just throw a Fender/Warmoth neck on there, unless custom necks really are THAT much better.

Any idea of the cost to build one of these? *braces self for extreme cost*

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Actually it may be less than you think. What I would suggest would be to get a warmoth or USACG P-bass body, then just take to a skilled woodcarver. They should be able to carve anything you wanted into it. Then all you would need would be a custom control plate, you could get one from warmoth, jeanies pickguards, or you could make your own.

So, really it wouldn't be a big deal. You can build a warmoth P pretty cheaply, especially if you get used hardware. Then just add a few hundred dollars for the carving work and your set.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm thinking of having Doug Rowell do this for me once I get enough money. I did a search though, and can't find anything on him. :confused: Anybody know anything about him?

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    That looks a lot like Dave Grossman's bass...

Evidence:
    [​IMG]

Somebody alert him to this thread.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Frankly, I think most carved instruments are quite ugly and uncomfortable, but if you love it, go for it!

6. Very interesting...that IS the bass...HAS to be...same control plate...same knobs...

but it's been modded to a fretted fiver from a fretless four...

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    yep, I was figuring that's why there was one string with the tuning at the bridge.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Alright cool, now how do I go about contacting Dave Grossman? :confused:

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Carver Doug does some good work...he also did the Wangcaster. lol

-Eric.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He gave me a quote of $300 for the carving. Does that seem fair? I'll probably just have him use a Warmoth P-bass body, and get a warmoth neck so he can carve into the headstock "Fender Bastard Bass." :cool:

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Seems reasonable to me, the price I mean. Hard to put a price on artwork really, but if that seems fair to you, I wouldnt see any reason not to do it.

12. I'm right here. :)

I got that bass in 1984 or 1985. It was $400 when I got it from Flynn Guitars in Evanston, Illinois. A date in the neck join seems to indicate that it was constructed in 1974.

Nobody seems to know who built it. The neck may be a late 1960's P-Bass or Jazz Bass neck. It has a narrow nut like a Jazz bass but I think some early P-Basses also had a narrow nut so I'm not 100% sure.

It was converted from a fretted 4 to a fretless 4 and then a fretless 5. I also added Alembic pickups. The bridge is a Wilkenson 4+1.

- Dave

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So why does it appear as a fretted 5 in the original post? :confused:

Can I have it?

14. It has maple fretlines:

[​IMG]

I will never ever ever sell this one. It has too much sentimental value.

This recording was done the day I got it back from being converted to a 5-string and a refinished fretboard.

http://www.unpronounceable.com/audio/AstralTraveler-untitled.mp3

It's all improv. Late 1994. About 15 megs, 15 minutes. It features the amazing Edgar Gabriel on violin. Bob Holzner on drums and Andrew Sadock on guitar.

- Dave

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Did you get the Alembic preamp along with the pickups? How much did that set you back? (just curious, but i'm probably going to just go with some Fender Original 62 P pickups, as they're really great sounding and growly as hell with tons of warmth)

16. It does have the Alembic preamp. I don't remember how much it cost. That was done in 1994 so I'd imagine that if it cost $150 then, it's $500 now. ;)

- Dave