1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Made Basses in Britain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DbNBassist, Jun 9, 2007.

1. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Ok, this is the deal, I'm looking at someone/somewhere in the UK that can custom build a bass for around £1000, there is a year and a half before i will be getting it (18th Birthday present) I would just like a heads up on it.

Cheers

2. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    IMO, depending on your abilities, i'd hold the money, buy a nice bass from e-bay no more than 300 pounds, try it a lot, and when you note what is lacking of what you want, then you can order a custom with the characteristics you need.
    good luck

3. ....but if you are serious about it...and i mean in a long-term investment sorta way...consider Shuker.They do good work.

http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/

4. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I have been playing for a long time, and i have a MIA P-Bass. I want something up on that.

5. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    cheers

6. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    *Bump* I loved the look of the Shukers but i would like some more just to compare.

7. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    ACG Guitars is also based in England, and I must say those are pretty sweet looking custom basses.

www.acguitars.co.uk

8. Jon Shuker's probably the only guy out there whose prices start at less than £1000, alas. The other big names (Sei, GB, ACG, etc) all seem to come in at the £1400+ mark as a minimum.

9. alan (aka "skelf") is a TB regular...check out his stuff in the Luthier's forum.....very cool stuff...

10. The June issue of Guitarist has a review of a Zoot Performer Pro Bass (retails at 985 pounds). According to the review it has good quality and good sounds, and pretty decent looks (not entirely sure about the headstock). It's not precisely a custom, but not precisely not a custom either.

11. RIM basses.

Robbie is a nice guy and his basses are amazing!

12. I would have said Sei as well, but they're a little more expensive..

However, I went to see Alan at AC guitars on Friday.Great guy and he has some fantastic wood in stock, some good designs and an exclusive preamp from John East..

Well worth a look at www.acguitars.co.uk

13. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    They're actually based in Scotland dude.

I can confrim that his work is even better in the flesh too, I'd drop Alan an e-mail if I was you DbNBassist

Also, I can't recommend Shukers enough either, I got a custom single-cut 6 string made up last year for not a whole lot over £1000.

Cheers,
    Eude

14. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Seriously? i was intersted in the Single cut but it said on their website that they started from £1750

15. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    My teacher (here in the US) has a Shuker. Up until now I had no Idea what kinda bass it was. IT SOUNDS AMAZING. He brought over his amp once, to our lesson, and it sounded sick (it even sounds good through a little 10 watt Crate).

16. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I don't know where you got the £1400+ figure for my work. I have yet to build a bass that costs as much as that. So I am afraid you are wrong with regard to my pricing. Please at least ask me how much a bass costs before telling everyone else what I charge.
    If you would like a better idea of my pricing get in touch and I will sort it out for you.

Cheers
    Alan

17. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Was gonna say the same Alan, didn't want to put my oar in though...

Eude

18. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Cheers Eude feel free.
    Maybe someday with that kind of pricing but as you know not any time soon.
    Alan

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021