Custom Made Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, May 23, 2004.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Anyone ever try their hand at making their own speaker cabs? I was browsing the Eminence website - and there speakers are rated very high - spec wise and reputation.

Also, allot of the major cabinet makers are supplied by Eminence.

You can make a 2000 watt cabinet for under $500....

That's impressive!

2. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've thought about building my own cabs for quite a while. I mean, I've got the tools, the skillz, etc... In the end though, I don't think that I'd be able to produce a cab that is as small and sounds as good as the pro's can. Maybe one day if I run across a good deal on some speakers...
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Using the SEARCH feature here, you will discover many dozens of threads discussing this in detail.
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I was planning on doing this as well, however, it takes a good amount of experience and know-how. Unless you want to go out and read a few books and essays on the subject, you're not going to be able to make an amazing cab, at least not on your first attempt. It might be doable if you want something simple, such as a sealed 1x15. As soon as you throw in crossovers and porting, it'll get tricky.
  5. Saving money is NOT the reason to build your own.
  6. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Thanks for your replys. I understand what all of you are saying - luckily for me, I have a good friend that is a professional soundman. He's been building pro cabs for years. I just never thought about applying his experience to me.

I've heard some of the cabs he's helped design - they really kick!!
  7. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Also, I should point out - I'm not talking about building the actual cabinet itself - I would purchase a professional cabinet (empty) and then fill it with the drivers and crossover (if needed) of my choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

8. I'm not trying to be a arse here., but that's even harder to accomplish, because you'd have to find drivers and accessories to exactly fit the cab you already have. Cabinet design is more than building a wooden box and stuffing speakers in it. It requires a very precise calculation of box volume and porting dimensions. And when you really do your best to predict the end result, it still requires tweaking afterwards.

Getting a ready made cab isn't going to simplify things. If your mate builds cabinets like this, he should REALLY know his stuff to make it all fit together. It's actually easier to build your own box, so you can fit it to the drivers of your choice. Most designers first choose drivers, then design a box for them.

My Eur 0.02
  9. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Yeah - my friend was explaining all of this to me last night. That's why I'll have him do everything for me. He has the software, experience, etc. Plus he can get everything at cost since he's a dealer!!
  10. I have 1250+ drivers already cataloged in my spreadsheet.

Picking a driver is easy, once you know what you want. Knowing what you want is the hard part.