Custom Made Scratch Plates in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thecosmicowl666, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Anyone know where you can get custom made scratch plates, in Sydney Australia, made up?
    I was to get a black / white / black scratch plate made up for my Orange O Bass

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    First welcome to TalkBass.
    Any online pick guard maker can fill your needs. Whether local or on line, take your pickguard off, trace the outline, screw holes and routes onto paper and replace the pickguard. That gives you a template you can send/take to the vendor of your choice. Pickguardian is a respected vendor. Have you considered buying the material and making your own?
    Pickguardian | Quality Handmade Custom Pickguards

Blank Pickguard Material

3. I would, but I've never done it and I'm not sure how to cut it properly either

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Cut it close with a saw, file to shape and taper, use a scraper to get edges smooth. The route is cut by drilling an hole in it and using a coping saw. Drill holes, create the taper for the hole with an out size bit. Don't use sandpaper, emery cloth or any abrasives of a similar nature because the grit will come off and embed in the pickguard material. This place can probably make one for you:
    Guitar Repairs | Sydney Australia | Luthier | Classical | Acoustic | Banjo | Mandolin | Ukulele | Wiring | Servicing | Setups | Intonation | Refret | Broken Headstock

5. Thanks mate, you are a legend