1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom made Vox Tube Super Beatle Bass 200 watt Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnk_10, Feb 28, 2008.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I just finished building my newest bass amp and I think that it came out great. Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted a Vox Super Beatle BASS amp. Over the years I've had a couple regular solid state Super Beatles, two Westminsters, a Royal Guardsman, a Berkely and a couple of Essex Bass amps but I wanted a Super Beatle that was a 200 Watt Tube head with a cabinet that had 2-15's in it. So I decided to make it happen by building my own.

Fortunately, North Coast Music makes a new 2-15 Beatle cabinet with the trolley. It's pretty expensive, but I think that it is worth it as it is made extremely well and duplicated the original cabinet's look and construction exactly. They also make a Super Beatle head cabinet which I also purchased. The challenge now was to find a tube amp chassis that would fit into it. After looking at everything out there I realized that there was nothing that was going to fit into the beatle head box so I decided to make my own. I had a Vox V125L head that almost did the trick and actually looked great on top of the stand as it was, but it's tone wasn't quite what I was looking for (abit too much midrange and a small output transformer).

I started with a Mojo 100 watt Marshall Super lead (plexi) kit. I had to cut the length of the chassis by 5 inches to get it to fit into the head cab, but that was fairly easy. And I had to make a new rear panel for the head cab to mount to the chassis.The kit is designed to use four EL34's but I modified the bias circuit to use four KT88's instead. I also massaged the tone circuit to be a Marshall Super Bass, with a bit of a Fender and Sunn preamps thrown into the mix. The circuit is point to point so it is built like a tank. I also installed a fan (with a on/off switch) so I could use it live or in the studio.

For the 15" speakers, I went with a JBL K130 and a K140. They are super efficient speakers and make the head, which is now putting out close to 200 watts, sound more like 300 watts.

I couldn't be happier with the end result. Now I have a one of a kind TUBE super Beatle amp that has tons of power and can sound anywhere from an SVT to a Sunn or a double-powered Dual Showman.

Anyway, I was just so excited about it, I thought that I'd share the information about it here.

regards,
    johnk

Attached Files:

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Well done, its clean as hell and very, very classy.

3. Amazing O_O
    U build ur own tube amp...holly s***...how many hours and how much it costed u, may i ask?
    Great job!

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Thanks for the kind words! Here's a couple more pics of the head.

Attached Files:

5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Looks awesome! ;)

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Awesome build, awesome job.

I want one!

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    The cab empty with trolley costs alittle over $1100 shipped. The two JBL 15" speakers were $400.00. The head box was $350 shipped. The kit to build the chassis was $675.00 and the four KT88 output tubes ran me $150.00 I'm using a Vintage RCA 7025, a vintage Amperex 12AX7 and a vintage Mullard 12AX7 in the front end which I already had. Other miscellaneous parts, about $75.00 ( i.e. extra vox tolex, plywood, lexan front panel)
    So the total was $2400.00, which is quite a bit, but I absolutely love it and still cost me alot less than if a boutique company were to make me one.... And, as far as I know, nobody else has one like it.

it took me about 12-14 hours to complete it and alot of that time was figuring out how to mount it into the head box.

regards,
    john

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    OK...I don't want one that bad. I'll just covet yours...lol.

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Thanks guys!

10. I get a big kick out of the head case saying "Solid State."

rodl2005 likes this.
  11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i left that little badge on there so when i play live people will just think that it's a stock super beatle. kinda like Tom Petty at the super bowl at half time. He was probably using beatle the speaker cabs ( i saw a mic in front of one of them) but i'd be willing to bet that he was using real AC30's to power them (hidden behind the cabs). their guitar tones did not sound like a solid state super beatle at all and i think that he used the "beatles" for more of a "backdrop" than anything else.
    john

12. ... not to mention a whole bunch of pre-recorded backing tracks!

:bag: :ninja: :eek:

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    :D heeheee heee heee!

here's another pic of the chassis:

Attached Files:

14. That is one awesome story with an amazing hy-bred tube Vox to show for all that money and work. BTW: Excellent engineering that displays a lot of class!! Can't say enough good things about it except 'well done!'

-Rob

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Thaks Rob. I really appreciate it. yes, i am very pleased with how this amp came out, even if i had to force this amp into existence. ;)

johnk

16. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    great job! :)

17. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Beautifull work my freind! The only change I'd make would be Eminence 3015 drivers. They are lighter, and even more effcient than the old JBL's.

18. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Very nice! I build my own guitar amps from scratch so I can really appreciate all the work you put into it! What kind of iron did you use?

JR

19. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Wow!

20. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Nice! I've wanted a Super Beatle since I was 14.