1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Messina bag on the way!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jacochops, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have a new Messina bag coming on Tuesday. Anyone else here have one? I used the search function, but didn't find too many folks who are currently using them. Anyone else here a current Messina bag user?

BTW, I tried a Mooradian bag for my Rogeri-shaped bass...shoulders were too big and ribs too deep for the bag, so I had to go the cutom route.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    If it's a Shen Rogeri, the Mooradian Deluxe large 3/4 is a perfect fit.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I must have tried a smaller size, as there was NO way I was gonna get my bass into the small space in that bag! I wasn't aware they made a large 3/4 size. Oops! Yes, it is a Rogeri-shaped Shen, the 190.
    Anyway, Messina should be here Tuesday. I hear they are NICE, well made bags!

4. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    They are the best bags i've ever had and used. This one's been going for 4 years and i got it used from talkbass back then. No tears whatsoever. IMO, it has the best padding ever and looks great in blue. The only downside is it doesn't pack as small as mooradian, and mooradians do tear after a while. Messina bags keep the temperature stable inside as well since it's rather thick.

5. stkowalski

stkowalski

Apr 2, 2008
    best bag on the market. his custom cases are the best and will last forever. plus dave is a great guy to work with.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I have custom made Messina bags for all three of my string basses, the Alsatian Queen, the New Standard Cleveland and the 60's Baby Bass.

They are bulletproof, the fit is perfect and they get more pliable without sacrificing protection as you use them.

My highest recommendation.

7. I'm in the market. Searched around Google, but couldn't find pics.
    Anybody?

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    http://messinacovers.net/

Brian Glassman has one too. He's lived with Moradians for a long time. Worthy a comparison I'd wager.

I like the Messina better than the Moradian except when folding in a corner. After a couple months it's not bad at all though.

The custom fit is perfect.

9. Thanks,Toods....I found that site on Google, but when I try to go in to see any photos, I get "page not found".

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea his web presence sucks.

Want me to take some particular photo for you to see?

11. Naw...we don't wanna piss Sherry off again....OH! You mean a photo of your case?
    Seriously...don't bother, I'll dig around. Those weird double shoulders on my bass demand custom, so I'll drop Messina a note.
    My old case smells like smoke, drugs, Mexican food and cheap hookers....It's time. :atoz:

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Call him. He sucks at email.

He'll want you to measure a whole mess of stuff. Draw an outline on some paper like a police killing outline.

Or you could do like I did with the AQ. Tried a stock bag then told him to add a little here take in a little there. Thing fits perfect.

13. mjt0229

mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Dave Messina was my teacher when I was at OU. A great guy. I have one of his cases that he made for my old Wultur bass, but when I replaced the Wulter with my Kai Arvi, the case still fit, so I'm still using it. I love the case - it's rugged, cushy, and convenient. Trouble is, my cats also like the case - I have to keep them out of it.

Whoever buys the Wulter will have to suffer with the ancient Mooradian that came with the Arvi.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I guess I could just tell him to make one for my NS Cleveland and he should have all the info since he already made one for yours. :)

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea he's got that on file. It's not the first he's made.;)

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I been using one for about 8 years now? Digging it a bunch....

EdBassHamptonCt.

17. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    I love my messina. My old bass has a bobelock which works fairly well, but the messina case is so much easier to handle around everyday. The best part by far is that it keeps its shape so that when you lay it down on its side it doesn't tip over. I do occasionally worry that the handles and shoulder strap are not as reinforced as they could be, but no problems yet

18. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I would tape up the clip section on the straps.
    They came out once and luckily i had one hand to the bass.
    I probably had the strap flipped another way and didn't notice it.
    It doesn't only happen to Messina. Most other bags have similar issues unless the strap is sewn onto the bag.

19. Man. I hope they come in another color besides blue.
    I don't wanna show up in the city with one that looks like Ed's.

The years haven't been kind to you, man. :atoz: I hope that shot was taken AFTER the gig. If it was BEFORE....it musta been one long night. You look exhausted.

20. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    He has black too but he uses the blue in part to reduce the temp inside the bag on your bass in the sun, and it's also his "calling card".

No body has ever teased me for my blue bag.

If they did I'd ****ing deck them anyhow.