1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom molded earplugs with more than 30 db attenuation? Anyone seen some?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jpc, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Hi,

I'm using foam earplugs right now, both for rehearsals and live shows. They are rated at 35 db, but sound very muffled. So I'm looking for better quality with a near flat attenuation. The custom molded ones seem to be very good, but they're only available up to 25 db and I don't know why. Has anyone seen filters with more than 30 db? Is there just no market for this or are the used filters just not capable of more attenuation? What are you guys using if you need more than 30 db?

Thanks.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Mine are 25db and so far they've been enough( on some very loud rehearsals and gigs, etc), but if I ever wanted something more than the 25 I'd go to where I got these and ask there.

Good luck!

3. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    What on earth are you playing that requires 35db reduction? Can't you turn down instead or let the PA do the heavy lifting?

Just curious.

4. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    The first seems to be going my way. But still...

It's basic hardcore punk. The sound level depends on the drum section and our drummer is very loud. Standing next to cymbals with a faulty earplug ruined my hearing the second time. Our guitar player uses 45 db foams, go figure :eek:
    If it weren't for the price I'd say I'll give the 25 db filter a try, but to have invested 200$ in something that might not be enough for me is not going to happen.

5. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Dude, no disrespect.

I'm hearing impaired, and I will tell you that had I known better I would've never spared on good hearing protection when I was younger. I have gotten out of gigs because stage volume was too loud. Not playing as often with other musicians has hindered my progress, but I am not a pro, nor want to be, so I don't need to compromise my hearing anymore.

I do it for fun, and spending $6k on hearing aids every 3-4 years, not hearing your loved ones, and other professional (software industry) missed opportunities because of my impairment is NOT fun.

No amount of hearing loss is worth it, IMHO. I sometimes read about people buying expensive gear and not getting adequate hearing protection, or using cotton balls, or other cheap stuff, and it makes me cringe. If people only knew.

Best of luck to you.

6. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Exactly, that's why I want to buy some better earplugs. But as long as I don't find some with a high attenuation I need to stick to foam :(