1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom molds for IEMs. Cannot recommend highly enough!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by el murdoque, Dec 6, 2018.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    d2bc3364-8e81-424d-a2f0-6c6941ea295e.

After a year of playing with IEM, I finally decided to get some custom molds done. My Shure SE535 ltd earbuds came with multiple foam/rubber endpieces to seal them in the ear. I started off with the foam pieces, but to get a tight fit, i needed to squeeze them, then insert them into the ear and hold them in place for about 15 seconds. After that, it took another few seconds for them to seal which was too long for my taste. We don't have ambient mics on stage and whenever I needed my hearing for anything else than IEM, i needed to remove one and afterwards go through the instertion process again.
    So I switched to the rubber pieces which did not seal as good, but could be popped in/out faster.
    Fed up with compromises, I went to my local shop for hearing aids where I had my elacin filtered custom earbuds made as well and asked them for molds for the IEMs. Two weeks later, these arrived and words do not describe how much better my Shure earpieces are with this upgrade.

I am utterly sealed off from the outer world and the bass frequencies are much louder now.
    Jaw movements do not affect the seal in any way. Once I figured out how, they pop in easily and come out just as fast.
    My left ear had some problems with the old system and started to hurt a little after about 20 minutes. Not enough to be painful, but enough to get on my nerves. These molds fit like they have been hand tailored to fit my ears - which they have.
    I bought those Shures second hand (in mint condition) for 250 bucks and the molds cost me another 150. That's custom molded IEMs with triple drivers for less than 500 bucks.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wait, those are custom molds just glopped onto the stock shure universals?

wow, didn't know that was a thing! are the shures removable from those "overmolds" or are they permanent?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also, i thought the convention for stereo sound was "right=red" (or are you going for nautical convention where "green=starboard"?) :)

s0c9 likes this.