1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Custom neck maker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PraiseBassing, Mar 15, 2018.

1. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I have a Carvin BK50 that I bought preassembled years ago. It was my second bass, after an ESP B-50. It’s loaded with two of their HB-5 pickups and 3 band active/passive electronics. Honestly, it’s a killer bass. I much prefer it over a friends Stingray 5. Even though I am moving to all 35” scale basses, I don’t think this is going anywhere, sentimental value on top of how good it sounds and plays. However, I prefer the feel of 35” scale and I think it’ll just sit in the case with it’s current 34” scale.

Does anyone have recommendations for a neck maker who will make a neck to bring it to 35” scale with the existing body and bridge location?

2. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Any recommendations at all for a custom neck maker who can do this for me?

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    try the luthiers section. look for threads like this or start a new thread with your specific request
    Do any of you build conversion necks?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Contact Michael Dolan.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Any recommendation on how to contact him? Quick google search didn’t turn up an obvious result. Thank you!

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^This. Michael Dolan was one of the few luthiers who responded positively to my request a number of years back to build a new neck for an existing bass...and the neck he built was fabulous.

7. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Does he have a website or something?

8. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
  9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Actually, I was wrong. That is a different Dolan, they're in the UK.

Just saw some comments here that indicated Michael Dolan was semi-retired as of 2014. He was in in the San Francisco area, definitely not the UK.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    He used to have a website but I see it's gone now, so perhaps the "semi-retired" reports are accurate. I think he built my neck around 2010? [edit: wrong, it was 2008]

11. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Ok, well if anyone figures out or knows how to get a hold of him, let me know please!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021