1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Noiseless pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bish42, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Hi,

I have read the threads comparing Jazz Bass pickups but I didn't find the specific answers I was looking for, so maybe someone could help.

I have a Fender Custom Classic Jazz bass which came with Custom Noiseless pickups. I have read reviews for 'Noiseless Pickups' and also 'Samrium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups'. What is the difference between these.. and are the Noiseless different from Custom Noiseless?

I kinda presume that on a Custom Shop bass, the pickups are going to be about as good as they can be, so would there we any other brands that might give me a different sound, but match the Noiseless in terms of quality?

Thanks.

2. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Anyone.... no... dust! :p

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Fender first made a design they called Noiseless pickups. Then they had Bill lawrence design some new pickups that used rare earth Samrium Cobalt magnets, and those are the SCN pickups.

So they are two different things. Both are stacked hum canceling pickups, but the SCN pickups are quite different on the inside.

4. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Thanks for the reply SGD Lutherie.

So I would make the assumption then that the Samarium Cobalt ones are superior to the Noiseless. The American Deluxe Jazz basses use Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups but the Custom Shop bass uses 'Custom Noiseless'.

Maybe I'm making the wrong assumptions, but I would have thought that the Custom Shop bass would have superior quality parts to the American deluxe.

So are 'Custom Noiseless' different/superior to 'Noiseless' and would I be making an upgrade if I swapped my Custom Noiseless for Samarium Cobalt Noiseless?

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I don't know. I have a set of SCN's in my jazz and they are definitely not noiseless. Is this because of the lack of sheilding, or the maybe a shoddy soldering job? I don't know, but for 175 or whatever these things cost they haven't lived up to my expectations.

Don't let this get you down though, Like I said the issues i'm having may very well be user related. In fact, I'm almost positive they are. Which means I totally suck.:crying: