1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassOnTheSide, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassOnTheSide

BassOnTheSide Guest

Nov 14, 2011
    \
    Hello Luthiers, I need/want a new nut for one of my basses, but don't have the skill or tools to make one myself. I need one that's the same as what I have, but with a more narrow string spacing (strings are almost to the edge of the fretboard).

Does anyone know of a place where I could send the nut I have to use as a template for making a new one? If you know of a trustworthy place local to me (DFW) that would be even better. Thanks.

2. Graphtec makes a decent array of sizes, I found onethat was just about perfect for a custom bass I have.
    The nice thing is, they are easily sandable, mine was too tall, and I just sanded it down to bring it to the right height.
    You could do the same if it was too wide for the nut slot.

Black TUSQ XL Bass Nuts

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I am sure there are a few guys on the forum in your area that will be able to get you sorted out.

4. BassOnTheSide

BassOnTheSide Guest

Nov 14, 2011
    \
    Thanks. I checked out the Graphtec stuff but none look like they will work.