Custom (or at least nice) bass suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jherrera, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me a company to look into for a 4 string fretless bass. The price range is from $0 - $3000 and the body design should be far from plain. Im really open to whatever and am looking for some insight to guide my search.
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    micheal dolan custom guitars, he doesnt whatever you want, and has some AWSOME designs, and VERY well priced, awsome work.
  3. DBlakley

DBlakley Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    D/FW Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Basses

I know nothing about these basses other than what I've seen on the site, but on looks alone? I'm awful tempted by the Fantasy bass on gallery page two.

I think he sells on eBay quite a bit.

Does anyone on the boards have one of these?

4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    $3k for a fretless bass is gonna get you a ton of high-end recommendations. For that price, you can almost choose your brand. :hyper:

My personal recommendations are Jerzy Drozd, MTD, Kenneth Lawrence, Elrick, Stambaugh, Hanewinckel (probably in that order).
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
  6. I've got one...they're cheap...they're built cheap...they generally sound very good...but, i would not recommend one
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You kid, right?
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    So your looking for a Custom Nordstrand?

Well why didnt you say that?
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    DUDE! That is NOT nice...
  10. Where are you located? Get out there and start trying some basses!!!!! $0-$3000.00 budget, you are the envy of many a bassist right now. :hyper:
  11. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    thanks guys im going to be checking all of these out i wont be getting one for a while (graudation) and even than 3K is pushing it so im really gonna have to narrow this down quite a bit. Im located in the chicago northern suburbs and no of no places besides the guitar center (alas why must they focus on guitars) in highland park and music gallery in highland park.
  12. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm really intrested in the fretless single cut with active pickups that NORDSTRAND offers. I was wondering in anyone here played a nordstrand bass and could tell me what they thought and some pro's and con's. Does anybody know of a place in the chicagoland area that carries some just so I can try it out and see if I like the feel before I commit to one.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  14. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
  15. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
  16. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you find yourself having to go below the price threshold of uber-fancy customs, give Carvin a look.
  17. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sorry boys, but all of you that said Jerzy Drozd are wrong. You'll never take home one of his basses for $3k unless you are lucky enough to find a used one. Right now there aren't many of them out there. So, used Jerzy Drozd basses are rarer than rare.
  19. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Seriously, Status Graphite! It doesn't have to be graphite, I have a Status Electro that is all wood and is beyond words. Rob Green at Status will respond to any emails quickly. Check the website for the Electro and other models. Amazing tone and playability, unbelievable action!!!
  20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

This is mine, from the site of the place I bought it from, my pics didn't come out as nice.

Really though there's no substitute for trying as many as you can. After playing this one, I had to have it. There are lots of great looking basses out there, and lots of people saying this one or that one is the best ever. Only you can tell what's best for you.

Is this near you?

May have some nice stuff you could try. Carvins are pretty nice too, I don't particularly love the necks though, I prefer a nice thin Jazzy sort of thing. Like on my bass, the best fretless ever. :p