Custom or Deluxe Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moosemoosemoose, Apr 29, 2005.

1. moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    Well yep, which one?
    Basically I hate the look of the deluxe 5 string active bass however it is cheap and active! So i was then thinking of getting the custom classic because of the looks and quality.So then I went to a dealer who said he can do it for about the same price (bit cheaper) as a custom classic.
    Any ideas would be grateful
  2. moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
  3. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    it not exactly cheap if you are refering to the American made Deluxe 5,granted it's not as expensive as some other high dollar American Jazz basses,but they do sound good,and with a real good setup,they play remarkably well.As far as the custom route,I would make sure that I have seen some of his work,and also see if some other players are using his product with "Grandi-o's satisfaction.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm a bit confused about this post, You mention the deluxe 5 string so I'm thinking MIM dlx bass. Then you mention custom classic which is the extreme other end of the scale :confused: . I will still try to help. The dlx 5 (MIM) is the cheapest around $600 bucks or so. The MIA version will be about $1200 to $1400 bucks depending on woods used. Next is the FMT 5 string, Mine came out to $1800 and change. The top of the line is the custom classic (custom shop) bass which is a little more than the FMT 5.
  5. moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
  6. Ok like pryo said: The Mexican Deluxe 5 is less than a third of the price of the Custom Classic. If you want to know which one is going to be higher quality, it's going to be the Custom Classic. It's a CUSTOM SHOP built Fender bass, whereas the Mexican one is an assembly line bass.

These two basses are basically completely different. I'm actually really confused at this point.

EDIT: Upon rereading your post, it seems you're talking about getting a Deluxe Jazz in a different than usual color, in which case you're talking about two Custom Shop instruments- and you're basically coming up with an instrument that has nothing to do with the one you have pictured there. So with this information in mind, these two instruments will probably play nearly identically, with one having block inlays and one having dots.
  7. Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Jaco Pastorius Signature model