Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Owner Surprised by a Cheaper Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have been a fan of high end basses for the last four years. I've played Foderas, MTDs, Elricks, Modulus, Alembics, Sadowskys, Zons, Laklands, Conklins, Pedullas and a few others I can't think of right now. I own two Roscoes too.

Here's the kicker: I was in Sam Ash yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale and played a bunch of production basses: Fenders, Ibanezs, Carlo Robellis, Warwicks, and a few others. Some of the basses were nice, some were not, but nothing really grabbed me until I played a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz. Wow! That bass has got some great tone, low action, no buzzing, nice feel and it even looks cool too! And all for $675! Now I said "cheaper bass" in the title, but I would not consider this bass to be a cheap bass by any means. It's less expensive but I didn't think that would fit (space wise) in the title.

I am really impressed with the bass. If I didn't think I'd be divorced by purchasing another bass, I would have gotten it. Anyone living close to that store, who's looking, should go check it out.

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I think Fender uses the 60's custom shop pickups on the Geddy Lee bass which gives it its great sound....

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    when I think of "cheap" I think of basses that are in the $400, and under price range. I just bought a cheap JT hollow body bass for $300. I to like higher quilty basses, but there is just something about some of those cheaper basses that appeals to me.... :help:

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    remember..we love [​IMG]

:hyper:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

:)

Back in Y2K I bought a used Fender RB5 for $600 plus shipping. I play it as often as basses I own or have owned that retail for $2k to $4k.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    like a sport wear you pay for the brand,thats all........ :meh:

7. Yeah, that's all. I mean, who cares about hand-craftsmanship, higher quality woods, immaculate construction, stronger necks with more laminates, better electronics, custom features and all that crap.

Give me a mass produced CNC manufactured cookie-cutter bass anyday!

- Dave

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    exactly because all the mayority of music that you love,was recorded with a bass a less than $1,000...lol...hand crafmanship is to get a single man rich or his whole family......less than $1,000 you can pick a good bass and sound nice if you are a god bassist. :cool:

9. you can rest assured you are dead wrong.

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    not,am sure that i have the truth, :D

11. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT

Oh, yeah... NOW I remember why I stopped posting here... freakin' snob... :scowl:

12. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT

Like the Beatles at all? That Hofner McCartney started out playing was a cheap European copy of a Gibson EB-1.

13. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Ok guys lets all chill and try to get along. :eyebrow:

14. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Yeah there are alot of rich luthiers out there, gettin over on us charging outrageous... oh I give up that is just ridiculous.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yeah and them drive Lambos and Ferraris and i can,t eat because am saving money for get one of his basses,lol,the world is a raw place. :p

16. ok,

i know for a fact that not one of the top five bands i frequently listen to play any sub-1000 dollar basses in the studio.

i know that alot of mainstream POP artists do that because thats the ideal pop tone, but not in 'specialized' music, if you will...

17. Hmmm, so they're rich now? I don't know where you get your information from but just because a luthier charges a few grand for a bass doesn't mean they're getting rich off of it. They have overhead costs of health insurance (can you imagine how much health insurance would cost for someone working with power tools?), workshop payments, equipment payments, utilities, materials ... etc ...

People don't make high-end basses to get rich. They do it because that is their craft, their art.

You know who is getting rich? Companies making CNC'd made-in-taiwan Guitar Center specials.

At least I know that the money I spent on my basses is going to someone I know and trust. In fact, I'm financing his kid's education. :D

- Dave

18. Oh yeah, for what it's worth, I've heard many bass players play $300 basses that sound just fine. There's nothing wrong with inexpensive instruments (good quality ones).

- Dave

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, Ken Lawrence, Vinny Fodera, Rob Elrick, and Michael Tobias are well known for their infamous money fights, followed by cuddling up next to their gigantic marble fireplaces which they keep warm by burning stacks of hundreds.

Sounds like you've never even met a luthier, let alone have any idea of the costs that they have to put into their businesses.

And this comment...
    ..is just laughably ignorant. It's only proving that not only do you have no idea what you're talking about, but that you value handcraftsmenship in an extremely low regard. By this line of thinking everyone should stop going to restaurants with good chefs because they're just getting rich and they should eat all of their meals at McDonald's because they're filling and cheap.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He was joking...the "oh I give up this is just ridiculous" part was aimed at the people claiming luthiers are getting rich off of their trade (he owns a Marchlewski).