1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom P-Bass needs 're-vamping'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheButler, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Well, I have decided now to keep the Custom P bass and just 'Re-Customize' it. I am going to replace the neck that is on it at the moment, the width is just too much for me and it only has 20 frets, it is a nice neck (maple neck and pau ferro fretboard) i just need a change to accomadate my new needs. Trouble is, I have got a very limited knowledge on the whole neck thing. Where should i look, i was thinking warmoth but hear they have pretty bad neck dive due to the steel struss-rods so where else ? Also will I have to measure the neck poket or is it a genric size for a P Bass ? Also I am thinking of a Nordstrand P/J setup but don't know much about routing the hole, how far from the bridge it should be etc ? Any advice would be much appreciated, i have about a $250 max on the neck

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The vast majority of bass necks have steel truss rods, so that would not be any reason (compared to other brands) for neck dive. The neck pocket size is likely to be "close" but not exact. You can expect to do some sanding and/or shimming when you buy a non-custom replacement neck. If you need more frets, you may need to either (a) reposition the bridge, or (b) get a neck with a fretboard that extends over the body. Simply putting on a longer neck, with more frets, will mean all of the frets will be in the wrong position relative to the bridge. You can find some good advice about routing over in the "Luthier's Corner" section of this forum. Good luck!

3. Thanks for the reply :) What is about Warmoth necks that give dive if the vast majority have the same truss rods ? I was thinking about just extending the frets over the body :) Any thoughts on materials would be appreciated, i am still relativly new to this whole thing :)

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's not truss rod that makes the Warmoth necks heavier, it's the additional steel reinforcement rods that Warmoth puts in their necks.

5. ahhh ... thanks :) That clears it up a bit