1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom P-Bass, Tobacco Burst (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I just completed a P-bass this afternoon and I am really happy with the results! The original bass started as a $120 purchase from eBay. However all was not well and when the bass arrived it really was a P.O.S. - terrible neck, electrics, hardware etc., etc. I knew I was taking a gamble buying it but I thought it was worth the risk as the photos looked good!

Anyway, one thing lead to another, I bought a new neck, followed by new tuners, a new body, pickup, bridge, etc., etc.!! The only original item on the bass is the string retainer!! It is definitely like George Washington's trusty axe, 4 new handles and 5 new blades!!

The spec is as follows:

Tobacco Burst body (no name eBay purchase)
    Fender Pickguard and Neck Plate
    EMG P active pickup
    Warmoth Neck
    Hipshot 'A' bridge
    Hipshot tuners plus Hipshot Xtender
    Schaller Strap Locks
    Rotosound Steve Harris custom flatwound strings
    Stew Mac for all the screws, knobs, etc

I am really blown away by just how good the bass sounded when I fired her up this evening. A great range of tone from the EMG: from really bright to a real luscious bass. I've got the action pretty low and she plays really nicely!

Here are some pics:

DSC_3186.
    DSC_3179.
    DSC_3178.
    DSC_3182.
    DSC_3187.
    DSC_3200.
    DSC_3197.

2. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow!

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    So, here comes the obvious next question:

Could you make some uh sound samples?

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'll try and get some samples done asap!

5. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Some additional pics of the back:

DSC_3193.
    DSC_3195.

6. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Very nice! I've always liked maple fretboards with that body color combo. :)

7. Very nice! ;)

I love sunburst!

How do the EMGs sound in relation to stock Fender pups?

Good luck with it.

Mike

8. The other obvious question... What did you end up spending on this puppy?

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    You sound like my wife! LOL!

If I include the original bass purchase I think I'm into it for about $850.

10. It's beautiful!! You do nice work!

For $850, it's clear this was "a learning experience" that you probably won't want to repeat.

So, when do you take all the leftover parts - everything but the string retainer - and assemble a second bass?

11. is that a basswood body?

12. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Not at all. I've ended up with a far more personalized P-Bass than I would have had I bought a new P-Bass for $1100. The playability is as good as my other Ps and I would say with the EMG in there is a lot more headroom with the sound.

I've bought quite a few sub $150 guitar on eBay that have turned out well worth the money and what drew me to the original was its natural finish. I purchased the original bass with the intention of replacing the hardware and pick-up! In the process I learned how to use a hand router to make the battery cavity on the back.

There will be no second bass without a string retainer as the body, neck and hardware of the original bass, in a word, suck!

For all of this I have learned that you get a great deal of satisfaction putting together a parts bass and I'd be very tempted to do it again, but this time, learning from experience I wouldn't do it with a donor bass off eBay!

13. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'm pretty sure it's an alder body.

14. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I don't know, man- on the one hand, he wasn't pleased with the original instrument. On the other, he's replaced everything but the body and says he's very impressed with the sound and playability, and has Warmoth/Hipshot/EMG* quality for $850. That's quite a bit less than a new MIA Fender (body looks mint and so do the other parts, so I'm comparing it to a new bass rather than a used one). If he could find a finished body for, say, $300, it adds $170 to his $850 and he's still slightly ahead of the Fender game pricewise and arguably well ahead with that Warmoth neck. So long as he doesn't want to sell, it looks to me like he's done quite well.

*I know EMGs aren't for everyone, and they personally wouldn't be my first choice in anything but a Spector. But they are quality.

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Note: I replaced the body too, so it was $730 all in for the bass - $850 if you consider that the string retainer cost me a cool $120 (it was attached to the other bass for those not reading the first post!)!

16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Quick question from someone who wants to try building a bass from parts too:

How did you know if a neck would fit the pocket on the ebay bass body? Did it list the specs and such? I have looked at bodies, but they never say what the neck pocket size is.

Nice job, BTW!

17. whats the decal you got on the headstock there?

I've been meaning to do a project like this for a while, alas studenthood often means zero cash for things like this D:

18. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Thanks!

Pure luck on the mating!

I already had the neck and the body was fairly cheap (about $50 less than comparable bodies) because someone had screwed up trying to drill a hole from below where the bridge would be into the control cavity for a grounding wire. Of course they missed the cavity and drilled through the back of the bass - ouch!!!

I already had the EMG pick-up which doesn't need a grounding wire, so I suspected (and I was right) that I could cover where the drill hole was in the back of the bass with a battery cavity. The bridge covers the hole on the top.

I will admit that the neck and body were initially a very snug fit so it had me worried for a few seconds!

19. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    moomoocajoo (love the name BTW!)

Here's is a better shot of the logo. The flash shows it up more than in real life, although at some time I will get a couple of water based varnish over it. I was to eager to get the bass playing this weekend!

I had originally bought a Fender waterslide decal, but seeing as only the pickguard and the neck plate are Fender I decided against fitting it!

I personally dig what I have achieved - done with a laser-jet decal kit! No guessing my first name!

DSC_3185.

20. Thats pretty darn cool, I might have to try one of these decal kits sounds fun.

I too have a Fender decal that I was going to put on my Squier VM but then I decided that A) that it was lame and B) its such a good bass that I'm proud of it being a Squier :D

Oh and love the bass btw!